Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Surprising Doomwyte Details
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprising Doomwyte Details

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar

Surprising Doomwyte Details

In a recent interview conducted by the Liverpool Echo, Brian Jacques has revealed a surprising element to his newest book in the series, Doomwyte, set to be released in fall of this year.

"Combating stereotypes has always been important to me," Jacques told the Echo on Monday. "I realise this is unusual for my writing, but in this modern day and age I want my readers to come away with the impression that anybeast can make a difference - no matter how small, or how different they may be."

He is referring, of course, to an element never before touched upon in the Redwall novels: the sexual orientation of a character.

"I obviously would not make the referenes to Bisky's homosexuality unnecessarily overt," he elaborated. "But I think an observant reader will be able to spot the fact that the young mouse's relationship with his best friend, a male Redwall mouse named Tomble, is a little bit closer than mere friendship." He also stated that very minor things about the young hero's mannerisms and appearance - such as his preference for a purple habit - will contribute in "subtle, insignificant ways" to the character's orientation.

"If Rowling can do it," Jacques stated to the Echo, a rebellious glint in his eye, "There's no reason I can't do the same."

Source (c) 2008 the Liverpool Echo

So, what do you guys think of this? Personally, I think it's fairly disturbing and I'm kind of flabbergasted about it. The statement about Rowling is particularly awful. I hate to think of her having THIS much influence over the children's fantasy genre!

I, honestly, am blown away. Is that what Redwall has come to?
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Although I caught what was going on, in all honesty that sort of thing might improve the series since it is something new. I understand it's a children's series (well, we prefer "young adult"), but come on, nearly 20 books already, perhaps there should be a split where children can read the first 20 books, and the rest can go into unexplored territory. It pretty much has to do something new to get my interest these days.
    Cool source by the way.
    Last edited by Folgrimeo; April 1st, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

I...frankly...what can I say? I feel sick. Literally. My heart is sinking to the pit of my stomach. Why? I just want to ask—why? What is going on? Please, Brian—please, no! What is the point? This is children's literature. What Rowling did was not something to put in your own book. What if someone does something that is wrong in a book, and another author says, "If he can do that, so can I!"

I love Redwall. How can this be happening? I think I'm going to have to lie down. I would rather have another book that is "just like all the others" than this. This is just sickening. No matter my views on the subject—it has no place in a children's series, much less one about animals! It doesn't even make sense.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

Patroller
    Oh.

Er, interesting direction to be heading off in here Brian. Yes, new territory, but nobody expected this!

Won't impact on my feelings about the book then.

I'm a bit worried though.
    -Formerly known as Durry Quill

Quote Originally Posted by redwallfan91 View Post
    I...frankly...what can I say? I feel sick. Literally. My heart is sinking to the pit of my stomach. Why? I just want to ask—why? What is going on? Please, Brian—please, no! What is the point? This is children's literature. What Rowling did was not something to put in your own book. What if someone does something that is wrong in a book, and another author says, "If he can do that, so can I!"

I love Redwall. How can this be happening? I think I'm going to have to lie down. I would rather have another book that is "just like all the others" than this. This is just sickening. No matter my views on the subject—it has no place in a children's series, much less one about animals! It doesn't even make sense.
    ...I'm sorry, I don't understand. The Rowling comment bothered me, yes, but...there's been romance in Redwall before. o_O

((Yes, Ferahgo...and I'm a giant green herring. ;D))
    "Night falls like a bad power point presentation."

Patroller
    Wow. Certainly a, uh, different turn of events than I expected.

BJ, you don't need to go that far to make the characters more humanlike than they're supposed to be. (Not that everyone's homosexual, it's that I don't really think animals act that way.) I hope Brian doesn't elaborate on it. Yiff is a fairly disgusting topic to me, and romance (more specifically, IT) doesn't apply to animals more than a reproduction factor because only humans and selective apes do IT for fun.

So please, keep it so young kids can read it and not get a wrong idea!

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    My jaw literally dropped when I read that. Not even kidding. I don't know what to say.

Hmm. I suppose I'm disappointed at what seems to be a fairly blatant imitation of Rowling.

"My name is Hope, Luck just ran out."-Carbon Leaf

The Redwall Wiki

A world were Wolves and horses live in peace
    Great Belin , I mean my mom will never let me read it if there is someone homosexual in it. He can't put that in a book. Oh what distressing news What will I tell mom. *starts to cry* Litrally I want to cry Why would he put that in a book. For one even young adults shouldn't read stuff like that. I mean if he says other authors put it in it doesn't mean he should put it in a childrens book. I mean kids that are eight and up read them some have it read to them. and they are under eight. What will we do. I mean some people can't read stuff like that. I know I won't be able to read it if it has that in it. What is this world coming to.
    "plucky!" "Hello Dashie, I've missed you." "Yeah I've missed you too."

Animals of farthing wood the tv series.

Patroller: General Josiah the Warrior's Avatar
    It's one thing to put a gay character in your book because you want to, but it's totally classless and moronic to do it as a Rowling-esque publicity stunt. Add a gay character because it fits the story and you want them in there, not because Rowling didi it.
    -Josiah the Warrior

"Life's a game; fight for survival and see if you're worth it."
    -Battle Royale

Ferahgo,

My sincerest compliments. What a wonderful job. I was fooled. 100%

Now, do I mean what I say? I sure hope my gut reaction is right and that Ferahgo has been working on this a long time to get it so perfect—because it was an amazing job. What hope do I have that Ferahgo's statement was a joke? Look at the date, friends. I was nearly fooled by Josiah the Warrior, I believe it was he, last year. It would seem that nearly every year, on 1 April, there is at least one hoax thread. I'm hoping this is it.

As I have searched rather extensively to find this "interview" with Jacques, and since the site he linked to has nothing at all, I must assume that he merely has an incredible talent and either came up with this on the spur of the moment, or had been working on it a wee while beforehand.

Notice, the mouse Bisky is not wearing a purple habit, nor do I believe there is such a thing in Redwall. Also, Tomble—great name by the way—is not to be found with anything Redwall related. I searched numerous times. Neither are things such as "Doomwyte Bisky Tomble" or anything related to homosexuality. I must conclude, therefore, that this is an elaborate hoax and again pay my compliments to its creator.

Was I right, Ferahgo? Or completely off the mark? If not, is there a real link?

Edit: After reading Folgrimeo's post again, I realise what he was speaking of. "I caught what was going on" I assume means that he realised what I realised.
    Last edited by redwallfan91; April 1st, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

Well, self, what have we learned today?
    That I talk to myself a lot?
    Besides that.
    That some LPers don't pay attention to details like sources or what the date is?
    And?
    And that some are borderline homophobic?
    Good job. Here's a cookie.

Patroller
    Borderline homophobic, yes, I noticed that too, a bit.

Well done Ferahgo.

Round of applause.

EDIT: Oh my word. The source!
    -Formerly known as Durry Quill

A world were Wolves and horses live in peace
    IF this is a trick its a terrible one. but a good one all the same but I think it's going a little to far.
    "plucky!" "Hello Dashie, I've missed you." "Yeah I've missed you too."

Animals of farthing wood the tv series.

I'm surprised no one checks sources or the date to be honest
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news