Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" Thread

Thread: The "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" Thread

Patroller

The "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" Thread

Anyone else bought it yet?

I picked it up a few hours ago, and am installing the game now.

I seriously cannot wait to play this.

Anyone else a fan of the series?

EDIT: I could have sworn we had a general gaming thread?

This deserves its own thread anyhow.

-Formerly known as Durry Quill

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Was wondering when a thread on this would pop up. Considered starting one myself, but didn't want to because I hadn't gotten it yet.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of the series, especially MGS3, which is one of my favorite games ever. My significant other is a HUGE fan of the series and REALLY REALLY wants me to play the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 before I play MGS4, since it apparently spoils things about the story. :P So that, together with the fact that I still haven't gotten a PS3 yet (was hoping for more of a reason than just MGS4 to shell out that kind of dough) I remain MGS4less for the time being, but probably not for long.

I've also heard tell that the 80 GB PS3/MGS4 bundle model is sold out in most areas, which kind of sucks. Oh well, I'm in no hurry for it. (I'm currently in the middle of playing a game that came out in 1999 anyway. )

Tell us what you think of it once you start playing, Durry.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Patroller
    I just have.

Oh my.

This is an entirely different animal to any other game in the series.

I won't go into spoilers. Mainly because I don't really have a clue what's going on myself.

You know this new one picks up from where MGS2 left off, yes?
    -Formerly known as Durry Quill

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durry Quill View Post
    You know this new one picks up from where MGS2 left off, yes?
    Yep. I've also read via reviews that it's rather difficult to understand the story without having played MGS2, not to mention spoiling major things about it.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Durry Quill View Post
    Anyone else bought it yet?

I picked it up a few hours ago, and am installing the game now.

I seriously cannot wait to play this.

Anyone else a fan of the series?

EDIT: I could have sworn we had a general gaming thread?

This deserves its own thread anyhow.

You know, installation of software is faster if there are no other programs running. I'm just trying to help.

Click here or on either of the cropped images above to see more like them (link goes to my deviantART gallery

My Fan-Made Redwall Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Was wondering when a thread on this would pop up. Considered starting one myself, but didn't want to because I hadn't gotten it yet.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of the series, especially MGS3, which is one of my favorite games ever. My significant other is a HUGE fan of the series and REALLY REALLY wants me to play the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 before I play MGS4, since it apparently spoils things about the story. :P So that, together with the fact that I still haven't gotten a PS3 yet (was hoping for more of a reason than just MGS4 to shell out that kind of dough) I remain MGS4less for the time being, but probably not for long.

I've also heard tell that the 80 GB PS3/MGS4 bundle model is sold out in most areas, which kind of sucks. Oh well, I'm in no hurry for it. (I'm currently in the middle of playing a game that came out in 1999 anyway. )

Tell us what you think of it once you start playing, Durry.
    I loved MGS3 as well, the story was fabulous and so sad
    Spoiler!

MAJOR SPOILER
    Spoiler!

Gamespot gave it a 10/10 which is amazing, a rare few have ever gotten that score. Now Xbox 360 fanboys will cry if Gears of War 2 doesn't get a 10.

And by the way, it doesn't start off where MGS2 left off. Maybe a few years later.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_k3n5me4Rns < Williams is amazing, I love the guitar at 0:52.
    Last edited by Mokkan; June 13th, 2008 at 08:27 PM.

I'm not a Metal Gear fan (I enjoyed what little I played of Metal Gear: Twin Snakes on GameCube though), but I appreciate the insane amount of work that must have gone into this game, especially to spell the end of an era. I've heard that it ties up all loose ends by the end of the game (no small feat), that it definitely does play different to previous Metal Gear titles, and that the cutscenes and story are just as over-the-top as ever.

Even though the rumor of a 90-minute cutscene in MGS4 turned out to be false, it's scary knowing that a 90-minute cutscene is not completely out of the question for this series. Sure led to a ton of hilarious comments though. "At ninety minutes it doesn't need a pause and skip, it needs fast forward, rewind, and chapter select buttons." We still don't have official word on how long the longest cutscene in the game is, but I thought I heard somewhere that the longest cutscene in a MGS title was around 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure MGS4 will top that. Probably with the ending.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Folgrimeo View Post
    I'm not a Metal Gear fan (I enjoyed what little I played of Metal Gear: Twin Snakes on GameCube though), but I appreciate the insane amount of work that must have gone into this game, especially to spell the end of an era. I've heard that it ties up all loose ends by the end of the game (no small feat), that it definitely does play different to previous Metal Gear titles, and that the cutscenes and story are just as over-the-top as ever.

Even though the rumor of a 90-minute cutscene in MGS4 turned out to be false, it's scary knowing that a 90-minute cutscene is not completely out of the question for this series. Sure led to a ton of hilarious comments though. "At ninety minutes it doesn't need a pause and skip, it needs fast forward, rewind, and chapter select buttons." We still don't have official word on how long the longest cutscene in the game is, but I thought I heard somewhere that the longest cutscene in a MGS title was around 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure MGS4 will top that. Probably with the ending.
    Old fans won't be surprised by the long cutscenes. MGS needs the cutscenes to be longer. The gameplay and cutscenes are woven together perfectly, and if you just want to go straight into the action you can always skip it but you'd be missing out on a lot.