Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
If you could write about anything....

Thread: If you could write about anything....

If you could write about anything....

There are often subjects we want to write about that we feel, for whatever reason, we can't. Maybe it's too controversial, too complicated, or just too difficultto attempt.
    So the question here is:
    If you could write about anything at all, what would it be? For me, there are two things I'd like to attempt.
    The first is a novelization of the Bible. In reading it, I've always thought it would make a fantastic novel. But it's a history book. And making it into a novel, yet still staying true to what it is would be very difficult. It would take years of research, many made-up details, guessed emotions, ect. Not to mention I'd be skewered if I made the slightest mistake.

The second.... I've always wanted to write something about Jonestown. Ever since I learned about it sometime last year, it's refused to get out of my brain. I can't write about this because, although I know what happened, I don't know anything about the little details, like how they lived and what they did day to day. And it might be to recent to get away with. Not that I really care if I offend people, but still. Maybe I could get away with a more allegorical approach, like Animal Farm, where I tell the story without actually telling it.... it'd be easier than novelizing the Bible, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Patroller
    I'd like to write fluff (light romance), but I dont know what my friends or parents would think of that. And it's kind of embarrassing too, because people might ask questions like "how do you know things like that?" and it'll be quite awkward. I know it's a great way to get famous (look at the Twilight series), but many people think it'll be humiliating for them to attempt it, so it being in the category for young adults is rare.

But it's a history book.
    *cringe* Not to start any sort of religious discussion, but the Bible is not a "history book", nor is the intent of the publicaton to teach history.

And it's kind of embarrassing too, because people might ask questions like "how do you know things like that?" and it'll be quite awkward. I know it's a great way to get famous (look at the Twilight series), but many people think it'll be humiliating for them to attempt it, so it being in the category for young adults is rare.
    You shouldn't be embarassed. If you're writing what you know, there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing humiliating about romance either.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

I'd love to write historical fiction, particularly the Civil War. My only qualm is that I don't feel that I know what a battle truly feels like, and thus could never do it justice by trying to describe it.

Secondly is an epic. Not a bloody trilogy, and not fantasty if I can avoid it; just a stand alone epic. The only problem there is that I don't have the patience and attention span to finish half the things I start, and I would probably lose interest halfway through.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Quote Originally Posted by Badrang3 View Post
    I'd love to write historical fiction, particularly the Civil War. My only qualm is that I don't feel that I know what a battle truly feels like, and thus could never do it justice by trying to describe it.
    One of the best known fictional works about the Civil War, "The Red Badge of Courage", was written by a man who had never seen battle and was born after the war.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTBT View Post
    You shouldn't be embarassed. If you're writing what you know, there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing humiliating about romance either.
    Um. I don't know romance from experience (that would be just weird for a person of my age)... I've just read numerous fluff fics online that seem to be pretty realistic... But who knows?

Also, I've found it hard to write historical events. They're just so boring! Ok, we know who died here and who was born here, but how does that help us in our everyday life, today?

Quote Originally Posted by Safronia_Cedarwood View Post
    Also, I've found it hard to write historical events. They're just so boring! Ok, we know who died here and who was born here, but how does that help us in our everyday life, today?

It lets us know why things are the way they are now, and can help us avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

Also, you may as well ask that of every piece of popular fantasy literature ever, as they invent novelties for the sole purpose of entertainment, and have no real grasp on today's world; and yet people read them for the sole purpose of personal pleasure.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

I'm determined to write (and have published) one work of nonfiction. Considered numerous subjects, but not anything I feel I have a view on that would be worth writing. Whatever it is I write, I want it insightful and new.

I'd also like to delve into humor. Though at the moment political/social satire seems to be saturating the market.

Used to be interested in writing fiction, but I've lost a lot of interest in that genre mostly because of the reasons Badrang listed.

A world were Wolves and horses live in peace
    I want to write a book about my animation and my world I've tried I just kind of forgot about it. I also want to write about a true life event that happened to a friend of the familys daughter!! It really is a real life event almost like a mystery I just don't know how to do it but I wish I could.
    "plucky!" "Hello Dashie, I've missed you." "Yeah I've missed you too."

Animals of farthing wood the tv series.

Patroller
    Also, you may as well ask that of every piece of popular fantasy literature ever, as they invent novelties for the sole purpose of entertainment, and have no real grasp on today's world; and yet people read them for the sole purpose of personal pleasure.
    Could you elaborate a little further? Isn't that what fiction is all about? I mean, you have to have stuff that readers can identify with, but I don't see the downfall of trying to create a world with no 'real' grasp on today's world.

Or perhaps you mean you want more contemporary books that are symbolic, or have hidden messages; Like "The Great Gatsby" (hoping you've read it)

I'd like to write fluff (light romance), but I dont know what my friends or parents would think of that. And it's kind of embarrassing too, because people might ask questions like "how do you know things like that?" and it'll be quite awkward. I know it's a great way to get famous (look at the Twilight series), but many people think it'll be humiliating for them to attempt it, so it being in the category for young adults is rare.
    You might be embarrassed writing romance, but there's really nothing to be embarrassed about. And then again, I sometimes wished I wasn't the hypocrite I can be at times.
    Last edited by Brocktree1; August 9th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.