Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favourite front cover illustration

Thread: Favourite front cover illustration

Dibbun

Favourite front cover illustration

What is your favourite front cover? Mine is 'Martin the Warrior' because he is on the front of coarse but behind him there was rose but she looked nothing like what I pictured her. I thought her face was too pointey.

Patroller
    I take it you like Martin. Nothing like motherly love. My favorite cover tends to chop and change. I always prefer the UK covers to the US ones, in particular "The Long Patrol", "Martin the Warrior", "Marlfox" and "Triss", as I feel these best show what I consider it to be like in the book. The latter would be my clear favorite, were it not for the colour scheme; I can't wait to find out what we get for "Loamhedge".

My favourite covers would probably have to be the U.S. hardcover editions of Redwall, Mossflower, and front cover of Pearls of Lutra.
    They really bring out the feelings of the story, and the bravery of the characters.
    If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
    -Birgitte

Patroller
    My FAVORITE would have to be the US cover to Pearls of Lutra. I mean...it's got Grath there with her bow, looking all...well...just awesome.
    <center>Fare you well upon your journey,
    To the bright lands far away,
    Where beside the peaceful rivers,
    You may linger any day.
    In the forests warm at noontide,
    See the flowers bloom in the glades,
    Meet the friends who've gone before you,
    To the calm of quiet shades.
    There you'll wait, O my beloved,
    Never knowing want or care,
    And when I have seen my seasons,
    We will walk together there.</center>

US Brocktree. He rocks. Just cause he has a sword.
    <br>Stay fancy!<br>
    -Dark

This is a bit hard for me since i don't have the covers right infront of me. But i liked the us cover for marlfox and the outcast of redwall or maybe triss. And the uk long patrol.
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Patroller
    UK/Canada version of Pearls of Lutra, weirdly reminds me of some stuff that I drew. I like teh brght colors!!!!11
    I say, is that a jellyfish?

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    I've always been of two minds about this subject, even when it was much simpler with one UK and one US cover each. I always liked the crispness of Fangorn's covers, but Troy Howell has more style, especially when it comes to the back covers. Going through the books one by one (restricting myself to their original hardback covers)--

For Redwall I'd have to go with the US cover. I think it's one of Troy's best, the shot of Matthias is excellent, and it suits the mood perfectly.

For Mossflower, I always liked the vibrancy of the forest in the UK edition (it's what I base my impression of Mossflower Woods on), but in the end I once more prefer the US version as the trio of questors (Martin, Gonff, and Dinny) suit the story better (IMHO).

For Mattimeo, there's a problem. I've long been told that the Douglas Hall cover was the hardcover, but there's a possibility the Pete Lyon cover may have actually been it. Placing the Howell cover against Hall's, I'd once more go with Howell's since Hall's, while well drawn, isn't particularly dynamic whereas Howell's continues the tradition of his first two covers. Against Lyon? Hard to say.

For Mariel of Redwall, I always felt Fangorn's original cover was a little too Hildebrandt-ish, especially with the clothes on the mice. Furthermore, Gabool always struck me as an enraged badger rather than a rat. Since Howell's cover masterfully evoked a feeling of the grey and stormy seas, I'd once more have to go with him.

Salamandastron is a tough call, though, for Fangorn's cover of Urthstripe standing in front of the mountain with his spear is rather infamous throughout the ROC-- it was used on many a club's page. But, here's where Howell's style comes into play. Whereas Fangorn's Urthstripe is an imposing figure, dressed for war, Howell's treatment (almost tapestry like with the images of Samkim and Mara beneath him) comes off as a Badger Lord. I also have to admit that I never found the pink and purple sky on the UK cover appropriate.

Martin the Warrior has never been an issue for me as from day one the US cover has been a favorite of mine. Some of Troy's best work (great basis for the sculpture) and perfectly suiting what I picture Martin as. The UK edition is rather good and Fangorn does a great job, but it's once more a matter of style and a lunging Martin is far more dramatic than one standing there with a knife.

The Bellmaker fell into the same category as Sala, rather hard to choose between. It's here, I think, that Troy started to be a little too abstract with his art, especially with the otters. The UK cover does a great job of presenting Joseph as a mysterious but deadly figure and also has a great shot of Urgan Nagru. It's the famous poem from the book that decided it for me, though: Five will ride the Roaringburn but only four will e'er return. I think the US cover, with Martin's ghostly form hovering over the boat, embodies this poem beautifully and so the US cover once more wins out for me.

Outcast of Redwall is tricky, but very good for contrasting the two artists as they essentially drew the same thing in reverse order. I think both suit the book rather well and the deciding factor has nothing to do with the art at all-- OoR was the first Redwall book I read, it holds a special place for me, and thus so does the cover (US).

Now, with Pearls of Lutra, there was never any contest for me: Troy Howell's otters have never sat well with me and with his PoL cover, Grath, a female otter, looks like she has a moustache. While the pose may be better, I opt for the clarity of the UK version which is very nicely done (although Howell's back cover for this book is much better than Fangorn's).

The Long Patrol are evenly matched and I like them both, but the night sky on the UK cover and the legions of Woodlanders win out for me and I thus like the UK edition better.

Marlfox brings Howell's abstractness once more into play and his version of a Marlfox doesn't hold a candle to Fangorn's (I like the gold and green used in the UK edition as well), so I'll go with the UK edition again. Once more, though, Howell's back cover is superior.

The Legend of Luke continues Howell's abstractness, but is once again a good piece to contrast the two artists as the scene is once more the same for both: Martin & co. gazing up at the Red Ship. However, Martin, who Howell drew so well a few books back, seems disproportionate and the green is rather overpowering, whereas the orange and yellow on the UK version depict a very good sea motif. Plus, Fangorn drew the characters better. I'll once again go with the UK.

Lord Brocktree comes down to style, though. While the UK cover is dynamic and a perfect picture of a battle, the colors used in the US edition, the way Brocktree is holding his sword, and the elegant font used for the title tips the scales in favor of the US edition, which is my ultimate choice.

For The Taggerung I liked both of the covers, despite how people loathe the US version. But, in the end, I think Fangorn succeeded at drawing a legendary warrior, so I'll go with the UK edition.

Finally we come to Triss-- while I liked Howell's cover immensely when I first saw it, David Wyatt's UK cover simply blew me away. I was unprepared for its majestic quality, making my choice easy: the UK version.

And there you have it.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Patroller: Emeritus
    I guess I'd have to see the UK cover of The Bellmaker. Because Joseph rocks, and Joseph looks cool on it.
    <center><b>
    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    </b>
    <p>
    <a href=http://pikkle.dhs.org/amy/rcon/index.html>Please Visit Redwall Connection!</a></center>

Patroller
    For The Taggerung I liked both of the covers, despite how people loathe the US version. But, in the end, I think Fangorn succeeded at drawing a legendary warrior, so I'll go with the UK edition.
    Despise? Really? I actually enjoyed it immensely. I think he really pictured what Tagg looked like. But, hey, that's my opinion.
    <center>Fare you well upon your journey,
    To the bright lands far away,
    Where beside the peaceful rivers,
    You may linger any day.
    In the forests warm at noontide,
    See the flowers bloom in the glades,
    Meet the friends who've gone before you,
    To the calm of quiet shades.
    There you'll wait, O my beloved,
    Never knowing want or care,
    And when I have seen my seasons,
    We will walk together there.</center>

Patroller
    Maybe they didn't like how verminy he looked despite being an otter, though I think it was intended and worked quite well.

I've always thought that Fangorn/Chris Baker's art always appeared a little too colourful. I like Troy Howell's use of darker colours, maroon green, blue and turquoise, it seems to add a sense of reality to his artwork instead of the bright, fantasy look of perfect green grass, blue skies, etc. As Keyla said, Fangorn's art does look somewhat Hildebrandt-ish. I have nothing against it though, as he's a great artist, and draws the creatures better than most Redwall artists do. They're both equally good artists, but I've always liked Troy Howells art somewhat better.
    If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
    -Birgitte

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    Dannflower
    Despise? Really? I actually enjoyed it immensely.
    "Furry t-rex" was a popular description of it when it first came out. I never had a problem with it, though.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Patroller
    The UK / Canadian cover for Mattimeo is one of my all-time favourite book covers for any series.

I'm kind of disappointed that Canada didn't get the UK's Triss cover this time around.
    http://www.mechadrake.com