• I haven't see it

1 7.14%
  • The books are better

3 21.43%

Thread: Did you like the tv series?

Patroller

Did you like the tv series?

I enjoy it while it lasted.

Liked the TV series, occasionally loved it. But as always, the books would naturally be better. Books have so much more detail in them. Anyway...

Understandably Season 1 is kind of weak as it's just starting out and they had to throw in cliffhangers and action stuff to get children interested. Not that the book "Redwall" was short on cliffhangers to begin with. I think it largely has the characters and storyline of the book on its side as "Redwall" was one of the best books in the series. Cluny's always a joy to watch, Basil's guaranteed to be a lovable character, Matthias and Constance and perhaps the Abbot (great voice) are classic. Oh, and I went wild for Wild Ivy, best original character ever, tough-looking exterior and awesome voice. Didn't care for Warbeak though, and the events seemed to drag on in the later episodes.

Season 2 blew me away, ended up being a lot better than I expected. I know I liked "Mattimeo", but this reminded me how great its storyline was. It was because it showed vulnerability in our heroes for once, adding intensity. And Slagar... wow, Tim Curry gave me a reason to love him, he played the role so well. Oh yeah, and if there's anything the TV show does exceptionally well, it's the ending to each season... with Season 2's ending being the best of all. What can I say, Tim Churchmouse, he was amazing and he was only there for a few minutes.

Season 3's the one I remember as that's the DVD I bought, and it's the one season I was waiting for: the adaptation of "Martin the Warrior", my overall favorite Redwall book. Martin's visually one of the most interesting characters I've seen (and looking back on it, I think his voice totally fits), Rose was great too, Felldoh too... but there was one thing I never expected: this season made me like moles. If you know me, you know I hate the moles in the Redwall series. Can't really explain why, just don't like them. But the moment I heard Grumm's rustic voice, molespeech suddenly made sense. Grumm's a delight to listen to. Rowanoak was another character I noted for having a great voice. I never really noticed her in the books, but I couldn't help but pay attention whenever she was on the screen here. Oh, and Badrang's wonderful... I didn't care that he didn't look like a stoat because I didn't even know what a stoat looked like.

Of course, the other reason I wanted to see Season 3 was to see how they'd handle the ending. I thought "Martin the Warrior" had the best ending of any Redwall book, and it contains something that I wasn't sure how the series would handle it. Well, not only do I feel that they did it justice, I think they even improved on it. That just made me happy to no end that they nailed the ending, and fittingly on what's probably the last episode of the TV show.

While I have a soft spot for Season 3 for obvious reasons, like I said, Season 2 blew me away. I think "Mattimeo" had a better storyline than "Martin the Warrior", or at least was better about making you feel the characters were in danger, and because Season 2 was handled well enough, I have to give the nod to Season 2 as the best of the series. It's close though.

Overall, yeah, very enjoyable show. I do wish they upped the violence and got rid of that strange quality where it just felt like a kid's show (such as those occasional animation bloopers), but I'm happy that it was adapted as well as it was.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Patroller
    Overall, I loved the series. I intend to get at least the first season on DVD when I get the money (if I can find it; I don't think seasons two and three are available in the U.S., except online).

The first season had great artwork, and the visuals kept to the book quite nicely. Unfortunately, it was the worst for sticking to the storyline. There were important parts left out, and Wild Ivy was a big turn-off to me. It seemed to me that the writers threw her in just to create more tension between Matthias and Cornflower. And some moments were gag-me-with-a-nuclear-warhead corny.

The second season was bang-up! The storyline was perfect, and the voice acting was 3000% percent better than season one, especially Slagar and Matthias.

The third season was somewhat less faithful to the book than the second, but to an acceptable degree. In my opinion, the book Martin the Warrior was second only to Mossflower in the whole series. It had great action, deep characters, and the most serious, mature romance. As a tragedy, that book really shined, and the cartoon did it justice. There were minor changes (the ending, Pallum's gender, etc.), but even with those, it still outdid season two.
    "We're not doomed until I say we are!"
    --Constance, Redwall

Cornflower: But...you're dead!
    Cluny: No...you're dead!

My chili will kill you. My dad's chili will make you wish my chili had killed you.

Dibbun

RE: Did you like the tv series?

Yes I do like the TV series; well not like...love and my favorite season is season #1

Patroller
    Yes, I enjoyed the series very much. It led me to read the books. Season 1, I thought was good inspite of its flaws. I understant that the changes they made to make Mathais and Cornflowers relationship more interesting didn't work, though "boring" would have been a refreshing change compared to other cartoons/comics.

Season two and season three were even better, I liked the "Mattimeo" storyline, very touching seeing what the parents would do for their children. In season three, Martin and Rose's story was done well, beautifully tragic.

Patroller
    I hated it.

There.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that the character design is so poor. It's clear that the animators don't know what a stoat looks like, and didn't even bother to do the research to get it right, so aside from foxes and rats and badgers that everybody knows, the rest are just "small furry animals." Badrang looks like a wolf. The animation isn't really great either.

They also dumbed it down BIG time. Skalrag getting tickled to death? Slagar looks like a stuffed animal. I mean, sure, it's a series for children; that doesn't give them a reason to just not even try to make it serious. Why can't we have real, quality animation?

Bah, I can understand maybe if it was somebody's first introduction to Redwall, but after being a fan of the books for so long, it was a huge disappointment. Although I was expecting Don Bluth level awesomeness, so perhaps my expectatons were set too high in the first place.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balmafula View Post
    I hated it.

There.
    I didn't quite hate it - I was still able to find it entertaining - but I do agree that it was disappointing for many of the reasons you mentioned. I really wished that an art and animation style more similar to the Watership Down movie had been used for the Redwall t.v. series. I think that the softer, more realistic and naturalistic style of British animation would have worked so much better.

Parts of it also seemed rushed and sloppy to me, aside from the sub-par character design. I remember pausing it at random places and seeing parts of the characters in totally weird positions, out of sync, or miscolored.

And the character design... well, a lot of the characters made me wish I was on the design team.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Dibbun

RE: Did you like the tv series?

Yes! I love the TV series, and it is the TV series that got to love the world of Redwall