Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Geocities is closing!

Thread: Geocities is closing!

Dibbun

Geocities is closing!

Yahoo! says they'll be closing Geocities later this year: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geo...cities-05.html

Anyone know any Redwall sites that are still alive on Geocities? I want to save copies and hopefully get in touch with the webmasters if they're still around so the sites aren't totally lost if Archive.org doesn't have them.

(Also, anyone know what happened to the Redwall Links?)

Looking at the Redwall Links page (not the Redwall Links page, but just the Links page at the Long Patrol), websites still on Geocities include:

Carriers of the Broom
    D.A.B. (Dibbuns Against Bedtime)
    Fort Sunset
    Jade Rock Fortress
    Loamhedge Abbey
    Skipper's Redwall Abbey
    Terramort Isle

Not sure how many of them are being actively updated, if any. Tried looking at the "News" page of D.A.B. but that just took me somewhere else, so that was no help.

I guess if you wanted to save them, you can use the Save As feature in your browser and do Web Page Complete (or archive or whatever... just save as an .mht or .mhtml file) and/or save every file on the website.

Another option could be to mirror it (puts up a copy of the website at a different location), but I don't know what's involved in doing that except maybe to save everything and upload it to a personal website.
    Last edited by Folgrimeo; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Patroller
    -sniff- It's so sad.. So many sites are dead... .

Patroller
    It is too bad Redwall isn't as popular as it was before.

Not sure how many of them are being actively updated, if any. Tried looking at the "News" page of D.A.B. but that just took me somewhere else, so that was no help.
    I don't think the DAB site itself has been updated in years, however their non-Geocities forum seems active enough.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

That is the old version of D.A.B.

The one that is currently active and updated is D.A.B - Dibbuns Against Bedtime
    Rimrose @->---
    The difference between a hypocrite and a wise man is that one states his beliefs while the other lives them.

I agree it's kind of sad that all the sites are dead it makes a bit depressed about the Redwall fan following that was once so strong and always busy.

Me, myself hasn't logged in here for one and half years which is also a scary thing to me, because for a while I came very day and then suddenly stopped.
    But now I decided to come back and have look
    Arven:Tansy Pansy Toogle Doo. Boo!
    -------------------
    Clary: Phwaw! I think I'd turn to a life of crime if I had to eat tucker like that. No wonder they look mean an' ugly!
    -------------------
    Two old Warriors, who had left Redwall Abbey when they were Dibbuns, paw in paw, lay on the rockledge together. They never saw the sunrise that dawn, but they went on to the land of sunny slopes an’ quiet streams–
    Still holding paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthorn View Post
    I agree it's kind of sad that all the sites are dead it makes a bit depressed about the Redwall fan following that was once so strong and always busy.

Me, myself hasn't logged in here for one and half years which is also a scary thing to me, because for a while I came very day and then suddenly stopped.
    Nice to see someone come back. It's been.... quiet around here, lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Warthorn View Post

Nice of you to pop in! Redwall will always be fond memory of my mid-teen years. I still enjoy a good chat about it every once and awhile, but I find it much more difficult to re-read these epic books. Went to the library the other day and sent a shiny dollar on a new library card. Checked out a copy of Martin the Warrior and haven't turned a page since.

I need to get on that! Summer won't last forever....*sniff sniff*
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

For some reason I can't reply to this topic, I get:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

However, it would seem I managed to post this! There must something wrong with my reply.

hm

When I read the announcement I did not really think much about it. But the next day as I was doing a search on an obscure device I was trying to fix, and the only result was a page from Geocities. It made me realize that there was still an incredible amount of information on that service, and it would forever be lost.

So I searched around and found that some people were working on archiving as much as they could. However it won't be a complete archive, and it won't be directly accessible on the web.

I've been going through my web history (and my memory!) to try to salvage all that I care for or remember. After seeing this thread it reminded me how this task is doubly important, as there is a great deal of ROC history that is only preserved on Geocities. I'll be sure to archive that list of sites Folgrimeo, and DAB can go first.

Technical: I'm using GNU w g e t* to crawl and download pages, at a rate of three per minute. I limit the spider so that it doesn't leave www.geocities.com

Code:
    w*g*e*t -r -l 0 -N --wait=20 --domains=www.geocities.com
          ^    ^  ^     ^          ^---Limit to one domain
          |    |  |     +--------------Wait 20 seconds between GETs
          |    |  +--------------------Don't re-download pages that arn't newer
          |    +-----------------------Infinite depth. it normally stops at 5
          +----------------------------Recursive.  This turns **** into a spider

*It would seem that this word without spaces causes vBulletin to do weird things.
    Last edited by dandin1; June 16th, 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dandin1 View Post
    When I read the announcement I did not really think much about it. But the next day as I was doing a search on an obscure device I was trying to fix, and the only result was a page from Geocities. It made me realize that there was still an incredible amount of information on that service, and it would forever be lost.

So I searched around and found that some people were working on archiving as much as they could. However it won't be a complete archive, and it won't be directly accessible on the web.

I've been going through my web history (and my memory!) to try to salvage all that I care for or remember. After seeing this thread it reminded me how this task is doubly important, as there is a great deal of ROC history that is only preserved on Geocities. I'll be sure to archive that list of sites Folgrimeo, and DAB can go first.

Technical: I'm using GNU w g e t* to crawl and download pages, at a rate of three per minute. I limit the spider so that it doesn't leave www.geocities.com

Code:
    w*g*e*t -r -l 0 -N --wait=20 --domains=www.geocities.com
          ^    ^  ^     ^          ^---Limit to one domain
          |    |  |     +--------------Wait 20 seconds between GETs
          |    |  +--------------------Don't re-download pages that arn't newer
          |    +-----------------------Infinite depth. it normally stops at 5
          +----------------------------Recursive.  This turns **** into a spider

*It would seem that this word without spaces causes vBulletin to do weird things.
    I've been thinking about it, and I need a clue here.

What is the purpose of backing up abandoned, poorly coded amateur sites that even the webmasters didn't want any more?

In 5 years, is that webmaster going to show up and say "Hey! What happened to that junky site I made in 2002?", and then someone else will unearth it from their external to show them?

Archive.org (while not perfect) exists.
    Last edited by LordTBT; June 18th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Based on past experiences with web communities that slowly died off, it's probably for nostalgic purposes.