Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Redwall Animation Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Redwall Animation Project

Lightbulb The Redwall Animation Project

A group of Redwall fan deviants are gathering to try to animate Mossflower.

http://redwall-animation.deviantart.com/

Will be interesting to see how far this goes. Or if anyone gets sued.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Huh... interesting.

Color me pessimistic but I don't see anything coming of it.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Reminds me of the Wolf movie project. It's a good idea in theory, but the amount of work it would take to finish it, not to mention it probably being volunteer work, just seems like too much for anybody but the most committed (or an actual animation studio). Say it does work out. It would take a very long time before we even saw a trailer, or episode in this case. On top of that, a season of Redwall is 13 episodes, 20 minutes each, or 4.3 hours. That's like two movies worth of animation if they decide to go for a whole season of Mossflower.

And then of course, the suing thing. That one fan project to remake Chrono Trigger into a 3D game was sent a cease and desist notice from Squaresoft. Doesn't matter if the project was nearly done, all that work was wasted. Of course we have the exception, the Mother 3 English translation, where Nintendo wouldn't translate the game to English so a bunch of fans did. Not only did they release a translation, they also created a strategy guide to it. No cease and desist letters have been put out as far as I know. I've heard a few sites say that if you're going to do a project like this, don't show any of it until the project's nearly done (or complete) so you won't get sued. I don't see how they can't get sued after it's released though.

So it's a nice idea, but many other similar projects have fell through, so I'd have to see real commitment before I'll take interest. Speaking of which, what's taking that Redwall Half-Life 2 mod so long...

Might be better to just animate the thing in Flash or do it South-Park style, or simply remove all traces of Redwall while alluring to the storyline so hopefully no executives notice what it really is.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Folgrimeo View Post
    And then of course, the suing thing. That one fan project to remake Chrono Trigger into a 3D game was sent a cease and desist notice from Squaresoft. Doesn't matter if the project was nearly done, all that work was wasted.
    This issue still annoys me. If Square knew what they were doing, they would have simply bought the project.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

I actually just found out about this. Stuff is getting posted on youtube, and they just put up the first animatic. I'm actually impressed, the art skill is there, and I listened to the voice acting and it was excellent.

The animators seem very confident, Nelvana didn't exactly set a very high standard anyway.

Of course we won't really know until the first real animation comes out. Then the big question is going to be the legal situation. iirc Nelvana is Canadian based, would that maybe get them off the hook in that regard? Then I dunno, if Nelvana was out of the picture somehow I see the Redwall Corporation being a little more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbilkit View Post
    I actually just found out about this. Stuff is getting posted on youtube, and they just put up the first animatic. I'm actually impressed, the art skill is there, and I listened to the voice acting and it was excellent.

The animators seem very confident, Nelvana didn't exactly set a very high standard anyway.

Of course we won't really know until the first real animation comes out. Then the big question is going to be the legal situation. iirc Nelvana is Canadian based, would that maybe get them off the hook in that regard? Then I dunno, if Nelvana was out of the picture somehow I see the Redwall Corporation being a little more forgiving.
    Hmmm. I see that they ask for criticism, however I really don't think they would like my criticism so I'm just going to refrain from it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTBT View Post
    Hmmm. I see that they ask for criticism, however I really don't think they would like my criticism so I'm just going to refrain from it.
    I'm curious to hear it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    I'm curious to hear it, though.
    That's very nice of you to say , considering a lot of ROCers don't really seem to care too much for my criticism on quite a few things.

And taking that into consideration, I'm still going to hold off from anything public for now. Unless they really badger me for it (no pun intended), given my experience with criticizing ROC-related things and the reactions in the past, I know people really won't be happy with what I have to say.

I'm actually working on this project as a background/foreground artist and an inbetweener. I would be interested in hearing your crit. Also there's a lot going on that isn't being posted so if there's anything you're curious on I could probably fill you in.

All I hope is that they portray the story in a modest fashion. No over-the-top, soap-opera romance, please.

And the voice actor for Mask better be good.

Sounds like a superb idea in theory. Will it actually happen? I have my doubts.
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

Patroller
    I'm the web designer.

But I'm just worried at the slow rate they're going, because it seems like it's going to take a LONG time (maybe up to two years) for this thing to be finished. It's been about 2 months and all they've done is a animatic thing... and there are 12 episodes..

Actually almost all of the backgrounds for the test animation are finished or close to it, and the animators seem to have done everything short of actually animating. So the pieces for the test animation are slowly but surely coming together. Also I was told that it has gone from a full season to a movie so it will be much shorter then originally said.

Patroller
    What, really? Geez....good luck with that. I mean, Mossflower's a pretty big book. 0_0 And all of the character development... where will that go???

The latest announcement is that they are going the 90-minute film route vs a season route, so "season" would now be a misnomer.

I'd like to know what is being cut out of the story.