Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Trick-or-Treating: How old is too old?

View Poll Results: At what age is a person too old to trick-or-treat?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Some age under 10

0 0%

0 0%

2 14.29%

2 14.29%

3 21.43%

0 0%

1 7.14%

1 7.14%

2 14.29%
  • Some age over 18

0 0%
  • Any age is fine

0 0%
  • Any age is fine as long as they wear costumes and are polite

2 14.29%
  • Other

1 7.14%

Thread: Trick-or-Treating: How old is too old?

Trick-or-Treating: How old is too old?

Usually, the trick-or-treaters that come to my house range in age from toddlers (with their parents) to kids in their mid-teens. I think I was 15 the last time I went, and there were kids older than that doing it while I was in high school.

On the other hand, a family friend made her kids stop trick-or-treating when they were 10 because she thought they were too old.

I have no problem with teenagers trick-or-treating, but last year, a guy came to my door who looked like he was in his twenties, plus he was talking on his cell phone.

So how old do you think is too old to trick-or-treat?
    Last edited by Tsarmina 07; October 31st, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

I'd say probably 13. At that point, there should be school-related social functions to attend for Halloween.

At 16, there's really no excuse. You can drive, you have friends. Someone should be having a party somewhere.

In some places, there's actually laws that limit the age you can trick-or-treat.

If you want candy that badly, go buy it on November 1st when it's all marked down.

If someone showed up at my door on a cell phone, of any age, they wouldn't be getting candy, I'll say that.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    12-13, essentially not long after elementary school is over. That's around how old I was when I stopped trick-or-treating and started attending parties and other Halloween-themed social events.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

I would say the cutoff point is at 14. Once you're in that new world of High School, there's no going back.
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

There's no hard and fast line.

"My name is Hope, Luck just ran out."-Carbon Leaf

The Redwall Wiki

I voted that any age is fine. I believe I was 13 or 14 the last time I went trick or treating. It really depends on the individual. I do think 10 is too young to stop trick or treating though.

We had quite a few teens trick or treat here last night. It was probably about even with the number of little kids. I did notice that we didn't have as many trick or treaters as last year. I think the fact that Halloween was on a Sunday may have contributed to that though.
    Mackinsie
    *God Bless America*

The Redwall Links - the #1 internet Redwall directory

...'neath the cover of october skies and all the leaves on the trees are falling to the sound of the breezes that blow...

On the thin line between genius and insanity
    I dunno. I mean, I'm 16 and this was my last year trick-or-treating, but I think it's really up to individuals to decide for themselves. If you've graduated from high school, you shouldn't be trick-or-treating anymore, in my opinion.
    ....and stuff.

...Okay, yeah, I know I just said there's no hard and fast rule, but I guess I would agree that past high school, unless you're with little kids, would be unusual.

It probably has something to do with the costume, too. If you're 15 or 16 but in some elaborate costume and really getting into the holiday, yeah. If you're the same age but don't have a costume, and are just going around for candy...eh, that's a little weirder.

The Redwall Wiki

I'm 18 and I trick or treated, despite that my parents told me I was too old. I'm short, so I look young. (my friends look thier ages, however.)

I really don't care who trick or treats as long as they don't scare kids and are polite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Any age is fine so long as there's at least one small child in your group.

As for teens, they can usually pull it off as being "ironic."

But seriously. Parties are funner. That and haunted houses.

Last person to show up at my house was a sixteen year old wearing a Yankee Jersey. I was going to ask why you would even dress up as a Yankee when you live on the west coast.
    The cake may be a lie...
    But lying will never get you any cake

Disguise? Solidarity with Giants fans, hoping for the Rangers to lose? There are Yankees fans all over.

Not that I'd have done that, of course.

The Redwall Wiki

13 or 14 sounds about right. That said, I was trick or treating until I was 16 but that was with my little siblings in tow.
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

I forget when I stopped trick-or-treating, but there was definitely some "I'm too old for this" point. Maybe because we stopped living near a mall.

And yet I voted for "Any age is fine as long as they wear costumes and are polite", on the principle that costumes can be cool. I don't know of anyone who dresses as a furry for Halloween, but it wouldn't seem that much different from people who obscure their faces with masks. I'd probably think different if I actually saw a 20-something person asking for Dubble Bubble, but until then, any age on principle. As long as they don't return and disguise their voice to try to con out more candy.

It's a moot point as we don't participate in giving out treats anymore. The trick-or-treaters come too rarely for it to matter (maybe the whole neighborhood's just not in the mood), or we'll eat all the candy before Halloween anyway.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!