Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Brian Jacques passes away at 71
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Jacques passes away at 71

Brian Jacques passes away at 71

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-12380763

A former merchant sailor whose children's books sold millions worldwide has died aged 71

He died after a heart attack at the weekend and leaves a wife and two grown up sons.

I'm too sad to really say anything about this right now. Thank you for your magical books, Mr. Jacques.

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    That is... terrible. I am literally shell shocked right now. My heart goes out to his family. Further words fail me.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

How I just wish that it was April 1st and this was all a grand joke.

*sigh*
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

I happened to be on Twitter, a very rare event for me, when I saw Redwall trending, intrigued,I clicked.....and caught Brian Jacques in the corner of my eye, which was when that horrible feeling started creeping up from my stomach...and deep inside you know what's happened before the page has loaded.That was only a few minutes ago...so I really don't know how to feel about it. I haven't read his books for quite a while, but man...this was the guy that actually got me reading in the first place, something I believe true for quite a few of us.From where I'm sitting I look directly at my bookshelf, one shelf completely filled with his books....just the memories from reading those books,the laughter at the bizarre situations Jacques would create, the tears when your favourite characters died,it's such an essential part of my childhood and it makes me sad that there won't be any more added. (Although, admittedly, I haven't read the last two yet....) I never knew he was that old, 71....it's strange, I never really imagined this to happen, perhaps because of the frequent April Fool's messages announcing his death, I don't think I was expecting it anymore, weird as that may sound. Come to think of it, this forum wouldn't be here without him. I would've never learnt English as fast as I did without his books.Still a shock, will probably come back when I've had some time to think about it....let it sink in a little, though I don't feel as sad as I would have expected, just dulled.
    For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.

Ecclesiastes 7:12

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Oh man, one of my friends sent me this link a few minutes ago and I came straight here to see if everyone knew yet. What devastating news. Few other authors I can think of shaped my life more than Mr. Jacques, especially my childhood. Even now his influence on my writing and art style is still noticeable. My thoughts will be with his family and friends.

May you find greener pastures on the other side, Mr. Jacques, and sleep peacefully in Dark Forest.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Wow... I haven't read or thought about Brian Jacques in a long time, but his books were so influential for my late childhood/early teen years (I'm 24 now)- and this forum too. I can't remember the last time I was here but I saw the news on Twitter a few minutes ago and it all started coming back. I met him once. He was gracious and generous with his time, staying to sign books and meet fans long after he was supposed to have left. I can't believe he's really gone.

I am thinking it's a sign that the freckles
    In our eyes are mirror images and when
    We kiss they're perfectly aligned
    And I have to speculate that God himself
    Did make us into corresponding shapes like
    Puzzle pieces from the clay...

They will see us waving from such great
    Heights, 'come down now,' they'll say
    But everything looks perfect from far away,
    'Come down now...' but we'll stay...
    -Postal Service, Give Up

Such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. He touched so many lives through his words...so sad to think that this next book may be the last Redwall book.

(It's nice to see so many old friends popping up on the forum, but I am sad it is under these circumstances. Truly shows BJ's influence and impact on our lives though. )
    Mackinsie
    *God Bless America*

The Redwall Links - the #1 internet Redwall directory

...'neath the cover of october skies and all the leaves on the trees are falling to the sound of the breezes that blow...

A link to the obituary thread over at the Mudcat Cafe, with some reminiscences from people who knew Mr. Jacques from the Liverpool folk scene.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    I'm interested in hearing from people on this forum who've met him, also. I have always wanted to, but he never visited the area I grew up in and I never was able to travel far. He came to Princeton once (where I live now), and my significant other got to meet him. Does anyone have any interesting stories or reminisces?
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

I just...can't breathe...It's too much.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

I was so very sorry to hear of his passing.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Jacques at a book signing. I believe I had only read a few of his books at that time. There was a limit imposed on how many books each participant could get signed (I believe it was one "from home" book and one book purchased at the signing but I will have to check with Martin to be sure). I did not own any Redwall books of my own at that time, so I stood in line to get a few extra of my brother's signed. Mr. Jacques was a lovely gentleman and took time to speak with each of us as we came through the line. My thoughts are with his family.
    Rimrose @->---
    The difference between a hypocrite and a wise man is that one states his beliefs while the other lives them.

Darn, just darn.. it's said you never know when it's going to be somebody's time to go but this really caught me off guard. Brian Jacques didn't seem that old to me and he kept putting out new books year after year. One thing is for sure, he left behind a great legacy. R.I.P. BJ
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Patroller
    Sad to hear it is real this time. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I haven't been here for a while, nor do I know if anyone will remember me in particular, but I used to frequent these boards several years ago.

Although I haven't read a book of his in a long time, I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of Mr. Jacques this morning. Although my style has changed over the years, I consider him to be a great influence on me in terms of being a writer. I have fond memories of first discovering his books (and the TV series at the same time) and reading several, back to back over the span of a month.

He will be greatly missed.