Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello, um... lets start role playing??! :P

*Dertwill would’ve gulped if he had the ability to, but the lack of water had taken its toll. Any beast who took a look at him would be able to tell something was seriously wrong with his condition at the moment. Still, Dertwill didn’t like the looks of the nasty rapier the ferret jutted in his direction. If it stabbed him, he’d imagine the tip would break off inside of him, most likely inflicting a fatal wound. Either way, the last thing he wanted on his first voyage at sea to end up as stoat shish kabob.

The short stoat rehooked his concertina to his belt and took a shaky step out of the crate, but due to his weakened state the exit resembled more of a splashing tumble than a well-executed dismount.*

“That coulda gone better,” thought Dirtwill with a grimace. “Some corsair I’m turnin’ out ta be.”

“A-aye sir,” rasped Dirtwill, doing his best to show respect towards his superior.

*Dirtwill stumbled against the hold’s side and rested his whole body against it, unsure if he’d be able to stand on his own for long without it. Corsairs weren’t known for their kindness, but the stoat hoped the crew would show some sort of mercy towards him and give him a chance to prove his worth, otherwise he was a deadbeast walking. Dirtwill watched the other ferret intruder as thunderous footsteps reverberated above them. At least he wouldn't face the wrath of his actions alone.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Once Hookbod, Dropwirt, and Skullug were below, Waggy went to get the captain. He left a cruel stoat named Skullug, a lazy, quiet ferret named Dropwirt, and a loud, clumsy, stupid ferret named Hookbod, who was Dropwirt's friend. They were supposed to guard the two new prisoners. Skullug smiled wickedly at the two prisoners. He was going to have fun with them.

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    *Hitchclaw eyed the other beasts in the hold warily, his brain racing to try and come up with some way of escaping. The porthole looked rather small and he wasn't sure he'd be able to fit through it. So he'd call that "Plan B" and only try it if it came to that. Going deeper into the hold would likely be a dead end, and the way topside was blocked by the three large crewbeasts.

*He risked a glance at Dertwill, who looked incredibly weak, but was likely the only ally he'd find in this den of villains. He didn't much like the way the one called Skullug was looking at them and knew he'd have to act sooner rather than later. He sidled through water carefully, trying to get close to Dertwill without attracting the attention of the others. They were laughing to one another as they started describing the horrible things they were going to do to the two stowaways.

*Hitchclaw knew that their only chance would be to either run-- a prospect which did not seem to possess much chance of success-- or to stall until the other one got back with the Cap'n and then try to talk their way out of it. Hitchclaw already had the beginning of an idea on how to do that, but how to get Dertwill to follow his lead without raising suspicion?

"Here," he whispered. "Take this."

*Hitchclaw gently tosses him a half-eaten apple-- the morning's breakfast-- behind his back.*
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Waggy came back after about 10 minutes. He glanced at Hookbod, Dropwirt, and Skullug. The captain stood close behind Waggy. Waggy was forced to stand in the water so the captain could be on the bottom step of the stairs. The weasel captain got a good luck at the prisoners.

"Wodda yew doin' on mah ship, bilgerats?"

*Dertwill found it hard to stand against the wall. The stoat's legs ached with cramps from the long stay in one position as well as the dehydration. The captured stowaway shifted his bandana towards the nervous ferret beside him. If he hadn't been recovering from a near death situation, he'd take a better look at his surroundings and get his bearings, but poor Dertwill could only only obediently comply at the moment. What could he do? Take two steps and fall over most likely.

*The stoat's ears picked up a conversation behind him, mainly from hearing the phrase "Stoat Stew" from Skullug. Now Dertwill regretted ever stowing away in that crate. The downtrodden stoat would've had a tear in his eye if he only had the water in him to do so.

*Dertwill's ears picked up the voice of his fellow prisoner, and the stoat turned to see Hitchclaw trying to get his attention. He saw the ferret hold up a half-eaten apple behind his back. The stoat eyed it hungrily and his hope rose as he saw the ferret toss it to him.

*Dertwill eyed the apple as it flew in the air towards him in slow motion, trumpets sounding from beyond the dark forest in celebration. He almost dropped it, but shoved his back and the apple against the wall and froze. Hookbod eyed him for a moment, but Skullug's chatter sucked him back in the conversation. Sensing the coast was clear, the ravenous stoat devoured the apple, cork and all, as if it was the greatest meal he'd ever sampled. The fruit did him good, with the water from the apple easing his dehydration.

"Thanks mate, owe ya one," replied Dertwill in a hushed tone.

*If there was to be an escape, the stoat was in a better state to do so. Whatever the ferret wanted to do, he was all ears. Especially with the sound of heavy footpaws coming downstairs.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Zemmerug nodded at Waggy, who drew his rapier and began, slowly, marching towards the captured prisoners.

"Da cappin asked yew why yer 'ere. Yew'd be'er speak, yew slime!"

He said. Skullug stood up and reached for his knife.

"Oh, thank the stars yore here, Cap'n!" Hitchclaw loudly exclaimed as Waggy advanced. "We're saved!"

*He barreled on without stopping to catch his breath as everybeast stared at him puzzled*

"Tis mutiny, Cap'n! This lot 'ere has been plottin' against yew!" *He pointed to the trio of Hookbod, Dropwirt, and Skullug-- suddenly placing where he'd heard their voices before* "Why, those two stuffed me inter dat barrel and carried me aboard themselfs!" *he pointed to Hookbod and Dropwirt*

*Hitchclaw thrust a paw at Dertwil* "See my matey here? They been poisonin' 'im! Puttin' it in der apples..." *he pointed to the a tiny sliver of apple still on Dertwil's lips, its juice trailing down to his chin* "...and makin' 'im eat 'em all till 'ee just wasted away! See fer yerself!" *he waved his paw up and down, trying to point to Dertwil's emaciated figure* "Dey planned to poison yore food, make it look like an accident, den seize command for themselfs!"

*he jabbed a finger at Waggy*

"An when yore h'officer found us, dey played dumb and pretended not to know and we ain't had the chance to plead our case afore you came back, but tis the honest truth, Cap'n, so 'elp me pore ol' ma! We been lookin' for a chance to tell you about dere plot, Cap'n, and give yew warning!"

*the silence hung heavy in the air as Hitchclaw met Zemmerug's gaze*

"We'd be good an' loyal crewbeasts to ye, Cap'n! More'n this mutinous lot!"

*Hitchclaw held his breath, waiting for the Captain's response*
    ~Martin the Warrior~

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."

*Dertwill watched Waggy’s rapier wave about mere inches from his body. The stoat winced and gulped loudly, feeling the wind bristle his fur with every pass. Worse, he saw in the corner of his eye Skullug slide his knife up from its hilt, something he wished he hadn’t seen. Yet just as Dertwill shut his eyes tightly for some sort of lethal response, none came.

*Instead, the stoat lifted the corner of his eye, observing Hitchclaw come alive with an impressive yarn. It was their only hope to escape feeling something sharp and pointy enter between their ribs. Dertwill had to be quick and play along with the ferret’s story if the plan were to work.

*Dertwill nodded in agreement with each point Hitchclaw made, giving an emphatic “Aye” to strengthen their story. When Hitchclaw pointed at his weakened state, Dertwill interjected to explain himself.

“’Tis true Cap’n, they were a poisonin’ me but good,” he added. “I wuz a head taller when they first threw me down here, ‘till they fed me those apples. Why, if it ain’t ‘ve been fer my mate here, I’da be a gonner fer sure!”

*Dertwill stepped back and let Hitchclaw finish the tale, not wanting to lengthen the lie and accidentally get themselves caught in it. He held his eyes shut as he waited in anticipation for the captain’s response.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Waggy, Skullug, Hookbod, and Dropwirt's eyes got wider by the second. The were looking from Dertwill, to Hitchclaw, to the captain, and back. Skullug was trying to get out of it, Hookbod and Dropwirt were cowering together, and Waggy was standing there, stunned. He had dropped his rapier. Zemmerug decided that he probably would need to step into the water. He stuffed his pants into his boots and stepped into the bilgewater that was up to the ankles of everybeast there. Zemmerug walked carefully, trying not to splash any water into his boots.

"Cappin! Yew don' believe dose two scum do yew? Do yew? Hookie an' Droppie'd would ne'er o' kidnapped 'em!"

Skullug pleaded miserably.

"Well, yer da stoat wot Whitepaw reported ta be hoggin' da crew's rations, so ah don' think 'tis wise ta be trustin' yew."

Said the captain. He turned and picked up Waggy's rapier and threw it away.

That sword was junk anyways

He thought to himself. He turned to Dertwill and Hitchclaw.

"An' why d'yew think dose cowards would o' stuffed yew inta dose barrels? Wot good'd dey do poisonin' yew?"

He said, skeptically. Waggy came out of his trance and began looking for his rapier.

"Where's mah rapier..."

He muttered as he looked. He scrambled around, on his knees, in the disgusting mucky water, looking for his sword. Zemmerug kicked him and Waggy ended up scrambling around in the water, on his pack. He sat up and spat some out.

"Cappin why'd yew do dat?"

He asked.

"Cos yew might be a mutineer."

The captain replied. Zemmerug decided it was time to draw his sword.

He walked, carefully, back to the steps and called up.

"Whitepaw! Deddclaw! Sourback! Git yer sorry 'ides down 'ere, roight now! Quick loik!"

He yelled.

"What good, Cap'n?" Hitchclaw repeated slowly, stalling for time while he filled in the details in his head mere seconds before they left his lips. He wished he had more time, but he had to trust to luck now.

*he thrust a paw at the trio he'd accused of mutiny*

" 'Cos look at 'em! Nowhere near as clever as you, Cap'n! They wasn't sure 'ow much poison they 'ad to use to make it look like an accident but still seal yore fate!"

*Hitchclaw kicked the barrel of apples for emphasis*

"So they been puttin' more 'n more of the stuff inta these apples and feedin' 'em to my matey, here, to see when he'd only get sick an' hoping that he'd eventually die."

*He spread his paws plaintively*

"They knows that if they tried to poison yew and failed, Cap'n, you'd kill 'em. They needed to be sure. So they brought us aboard to test it out. First on me matey, then when he gets killed by the poison an' they think they've got it, they give me the same dose to confirm it. When I wuz gone, then they'd 'ave moved against yer, Cap'n!"

*Hitchclaw continued to meet the Captain's gaze, his expression trying to convey the truthfulness of his words*
    ~Martin the Warrior~

Zemmerug nodded. This satisfied him. He looked over at Hookbod and Dropwirt. They were useless. They were practically hugging each other and crying. Zemmerug rolled his eyes and shook his head. Waggy was rushing to find his rapier, knowing that he would probably need to use it. Skullug, seeing that he was in deep trouble, ran up the stairs. Zemmerug called up after him.

"We gots a mutineer on da loose. Ah wants whoevers oop ther ta chop 'im oop!"

He said. Skullug's screaming quickly followed. Zemmerug nodded. He turned to Waggy, who by now had quit trying to find his rapier and was pleading his case.

"Who you gonna trust, dem or me? Yew know me, cappin! Yew don' know dose rascals!"

Said the ferret. Zemmerug pointed at Waggy.

"Who was doon 'ere when ah came? Yew! Who 'ad apple on 'is lips? 'Im! Wot am ah s'posed ta think?"

Asked the weasel. Waggy looked around at the crates, as if he hoped they would aid him in his time of need.

*Dertwill did his best to hide his sigh of relief. Hitchclaw had a way with words, and he was playing the corsair crew like a fiddle. While the Captain’s attitude towards the stowaways had shifted towards their favor, one mistake could turn the tide against them. Just one more push could seal the ferret’s fate, and Dertwill and Hitchclaw would be home free.

*Dertwill let his exhaustion play into his act as he swayed and dropped to both knees and splashed in the bilgewater. The bottom of his kilt dampened in the stinking water, but better that than soaking it with his own blood. The stoat pointed up with an unsteady paw.

“Wot better way ta become cap’n than ta weasel his way inta yer trust an’ feed ya a poisoned apple,” accused Dertwill in his hoarse voice. “Why ah heard ‘im braggin’ ta ‘is pal bout wot they was gonna do once yew were outta th’ picture. They was even gonna stick yer head on a pike an’ fix it on th’ bow o’ th’ ship as a warnin’ ta ships they wus gonna pillage.”

*Dertwill sucked in a few breaths, thankful his knees were on the floor so no one could see them tremble. Hopefully he had finished Waggy off for good.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Zemmerug, now enraged, began yelling at Waggy. He cursed and flogged Waggy with the hilt of his blade. Zemmerug called for some crewmembers to come down, and bring Waggy to the brig. Zemmerug planned to cut off Waggy's head and stick it on a pike, and stick that to the front of the ship. He turned to Dertwill and Hitchclaw.

"Weel den, ah'm afraid ah'll be pressin' yew two inta service."

Said the weasel. He pointed to Dertwill.

"Yer gonna need t'see da surgeon. Yer sick."

He said. He pointed to Hitchclaw.

"An' yer gonna git lectured by da first mate, Whitepaw. 'E's gon' tell yew all da rules"

Said the weasel.

*Dertwill eased himself up, and pushed up his headband, which fell back down over his left eye. It was damp with his sweat, but he didn’t care much at that moment. He let out a sigh of relief; at least he got off the chopping block at the moment. It didn’t matter that he had just been pressed into Captain Zemmerug’s service for the foreseeable future; he wanted an adventure out at sea, and that’s just exactly what he was going to get. Well, once he got better, that is. The mention of the surgeon brought to mind saws, cut off limbs, hook paws, and peg legs; but those wouldn’t be necessary for his condition he hoped.

“Aye aye, Cap’n,” cried Dertwill with a smart salute.

*He turned to his companion, Hitchclaw. If it hadn’t been for his quick thinking (and apple), he would’ve been a dead beast.

“Thanks mate, owe ya one,” he whispered to the ferret.

*Dertwill took two steps before stopping in his tracks. The stoat scratched the back of his head and chuckled nervously.

“Err, uh, where’s th’ sick bay?” asked the stoat, ready to hightail it once he got his answer.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Zemmerug sighed. He was certainly not leading this stoat all the way to the sick bay. He called up the steps.

"Flogbane, git yer sorry 'ide doon t'da 'old."

He yelled. Zemmerug then turned to Dertwill.

"Da surgeon's comin' t'yew. Ah'm geddin' oot o' dis mucky wa'er an' ah'm gon t'go t'meh cabin. Yew'd best do wot Flogbane says."

Said the weasel. He turned to Hitchclaw.

"An' yew.... ah guess yew kin go look fer an albino stoat. 'E be d'first mate."