Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Redwall Collection
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Redwall Collection

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar

Cool The Redwall Collection

Well, it's finally here. With the site redesign now live, one of the largest undertaking's in its history has now begun. I'm taking you guys inside my Redwall Collection, complete with photos.

You can find the relevant links/photos here.

I'm quite comfortable declaring it one of the largest in the world, if not the largest.

I'll happily field any questions about the collection or the project you may have, but like I said in the introduction, one of the things collectors love most is to show off their collection. What do you guys think? What jumps out at you?
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Dang, that’s quite the collection you’ve built up! It must be impressive to see it in person, especially the books by Jacques from his Liverpool days.

I’m especially jealous of the Martin and Matthias sculptures you have. I have the other three, but missed the other two due to my lateness in discovering Redwall. My wife actually bought me the other three for Valentines Day 2011 after Brian’s passing, since she knew how sad I was over it (she’s thoughtful like that). I need to order a few more things from the Redwall store, as they always give nifty bookmarks as an added bonus (or at least they did the two times I ordered from them in the past). I do see the hat they have available on the store. Did you ever purchase the shirt or sweater they offer?

The other piece that sticks out is that Loamhedge poster with Lonna pulling the bowstring, ready to fire. I like that image much more than the US cover of Loamhedge. Everything about that poster screams “epic”.

And as a side note from your Redwall article, the cover for the 2014 UK Vintage Collection is quite... odd. Looks like Matthias should be karate chopping Cluny rather than going at him with a sword.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer View Post
    Dang, that’s quite the collection you’ve built up! It must be impressive to see it in person, especially the books by Jacques from his Liverpool days.
    It was certainly interesting to see it all in one place. I've had bits and pieces of it stored across various bookshelves and drawers that it makes it seem smaller than it is when everything's where it goes-- but pretty massive when all lined up on a single table. On the plus side, it's helped me organize and consolidate all the errant bits and pieces of it.

I’m especially jealous of the Martin and Matthias sculptures you have. I have the other three, but missed the other two due to my lateness in discovering Redwall. My wife actually bought me the other three for Valentines Day 2011 after Brian’s passing, since she knew how sad I was over it (she’s thoughtful like that).
    Very nice! The sculptures are one of the favorite things in my collection. Also one of the oldest. I got Martin fairly early (for obvious reasons) and he by far remains my favorite-- with the other four following soon after. I'm sorry the full-series of 21 sculptures had to be scrapped, because I remember the excitement when we found out that Mariel and Clogg and more were on the way. I've got some interesting details coming in the sculpture write-up.

I need to order a few more things from the Redwall store, as they always give nifty bookmarks as an added bonus (or at least they did the two times I ordered from them in the past). I do see the hat they have available on the store. Did you ever purchase the shirt or sweater they offer?
    I have a Brian Jacques t-shirt in the collection (not pictured as-of-yet), but not the "I've been to Redwall" ones.

The other piece that sticks out is that Loamhedge poster with Lonna pulling the bowstring, ready to fire. I like that image much more than the US cover of Loamhedge. Everything about that poster screams “epic”.
    I agree, David Wyatt did such a phenomenal job on each of his covers. While there are always elements from the Howell ones that I'll prefer overall, it's hard to look at one of Wyatt's and not go "wow."

And as a side note from your Redwall article, the cover for the 2014 UK Vintage Collection is quite... odd. Looks like Matthias should be karate chopping Cluny rather than going at him with a sword.
    Honestly it's a toss-up for me between that cover and the Ron Keith audio book cover for weirdest. They're just, as you said, odd depictions of the stories. But that kind of makes them fun additions to the collection. We get so used to Troy or Fangorn's work that when something comes completely from left field it throws us. But it gives an interesting new spin on the book while still leaving the better covers in wider use.
    ~Martin the Warrior~

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."

Quote Originally Posted by Martin the Warrior View Post
    Very nice! The sculptures are one of the favorite things in my collection. Also one of the oldest. I got Martin fairly early (for obvious reasons) and he by far remains my favorite-- with the other four following soon after. I'm sorry the full-series of 21 sculptures had to be scrapped, because I remember the excitement when we found out that Mariel and Clogg and more were on the way. I've got some interesting details coming in the sculpture write-up.
    I read about that last week when I was checking out the newsline. I’m sad we didn’t get to see the others, though I certainly understand why they didn’t go into production. Was a full character list ever announced? Either way, looking forward to the write up.

I agree, David Wyatt did such a phenomenal job on each of his covers. While there are always elements from the Howell ones that I'll prefer overall, it's hard to look at one of Wyatt's and not go "wow."
    Yeah, I saw his cover for Triss, and was taken aback by how nice it looked with the bright colors. I really need to look up the UK covers, as I'm not at all familiar with them.

Honestly it's a toss-up for me between that cover and the Ron Keith audio book cover for weirdest. They're just, as you said, odd depictions of the stories. But that kind of makes them fun additions to the collection. We get so used to Troy or Fangorn's work that when something comes completely from left field it throws us. But it gives an interesting new spin on the book while still leaving the better covers in wider use.
    Oh sure, a weird cover is better than a boring one any day. Certainly it has its own charm, and it’s better than anything I’ve drawn, but it’s nothing like I’d imagine for Redwall.

On a side note, I picked up the Mossflower Anniversary edition off of ebay. Looking forward to reading through it. I wouldn't have known about it without your article, so thanks for the heads up!
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer View Post
    I read about that last week when I was checking out the newsline. I’m sad we didn’t get to see the others, though I certainly understand why they didn’t go into production. Was a full character list ever announced? Either way, looking forward to the write up.
    The full character list never was, no. I think we expected those who appeared on Troy's covers to be most likely, but admittedly Rose, Grumm, and Bungo did not and still got made in that style. (As Clogg would have.) So really everyone was fair game. I would have dearly loved a Badger Lord (preferably Sunflash with Skarlath) and Long Patrol hare to round out the collection, maybe a Gonff the Mousethief (forever etched in my mind as depicted on the Thomas Canty cover).

On a side note, I picked up the Mossflower Anniversary edition off of ebay. Looking forward to reading through it. I wouldn't have known about it without your article, so thanks for the heads up!
    Congrats! Be sure to let us know what you think. It's a shame they didn't let David color the plates-- he did a color version of the Argulor plate for his own satisfaction and shared it on his website, but for whatever reason the publisher wanted black & white. It's still a very nice book, though.
    ~Martin the Warrior~

The full character list never was, no. I think we expected those who appeared on Troy's covers to be most likely, but admittedly Rose, Grumm, and Bungo did not and still got made in that style. (As Clogg would have.) So really everyone was fair game. I would have dearly loved a Badger Lord (preferably Sunflash with Skarlath) and Long Patrol hare to round out the collection, maybe a Gonff the Mousethief (forever etched in my mind as depicted on the Thomas Canty cover).
    It’s probably for the best that a full character list wasn’t revealed, or we’d just lament what never was. Oh, but how I wish I could have a Sunflash or Long Patrol figurine, though it would be hard to pick one out of all the great hare characters. Gonff would be a great choice as well. Actually, I’m surprised Gonff wasn’t part of the original choices.

Congrats! Be sure to let us know what you think. It's a shame they didn't let David color the plates-- he did a color version of the Argulor plate for his own satisfaction and shared it on his website, but for whatever reason the publisher wanted black & white. It's still a very nice book, though.
    That’s too bad they never let David use color. I wonder if it’s because all the book illustrations had been in black and white. Even though I just finished my reread of Mossflower, I can’t wait to flip through the collector’s edition and see what’s different.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Well, that's quite the collection. I've managed to build up my collection and I've even managed to pick up a copy of A Gig wid Brig and a signed copy of the Paddy Kelly book. All of my Redwall stuff is on different bookshelves across my room, so I've never really had a chance to look at them all together either. The only set I have complete is the 2010 paperback set, but I have most of the other sets about halfway finished. I don't have much Redwall merchandise because I only started reading the about 2005 and I really only became a collector a couple years ago, shortly after Brian's death. I'm at school now, but I've been meaning to take an inventory of everything I do have and I'll probably be doing that next time I'm home.

Just out of curiosity, what part of your collection are you most proud of? Mine is my 2005 Firebird copy of Martin the Warrior. Nothing particularly rare, but it was the first Redwall book that I bought myself and anytime I'm away from home for an extended period of time I take it with me. As for my rarest item, I have a couple of signed US hardbacks, but Brian signed a lot of books so I guess those aren't that rare. I'd probably say it's either the Paddy Kelly book or A Gig wid Brig record since those don't come around that often. I haven't actually had a chance to listen to the record since our player hasn't worked in sometime.

I almost forgot, do you have the current UK paperbacks with a main character's silhouette in a ring? I didn't see the one for Redwall when you were describing the paperbacks. From what I've heard, Brian wasn't very fond of those covers.
    Last edited by T.W.; September 21st, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Hey T.W., welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy it here and post often. You have a very impressive collection yourself. Mine definitely doesn't compare with either yours or Martin's.

I don't have any books that stand out per se. Whenever I read one of them, I'll write the date inside of when I finish it, just so I can keep record of how many times I've read them (and for whoever gets the books once I'm gone). I'm working on transitioning my copies from paperback to hardcover (and hopefully some U.K. covers as well). Of the books I own, I don't think I'll ever get rid of Pearls of Lutra. Why that one? Well, it was the book I was reading when I heard the news that Brian passed. I made a notation of it in my cover, so I think I'll always hang onto it.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Hello and thanks for welcome. You'll probably see me around when there's a lull in schoolwork or if I'm home for the weekend.

I actually have a similar story with my Firebird copy of Doomwyte. I wasn't reading any Redwall books when Brian died, but I just happened to buy Doomwyte the day he died. I didn't even know about Brian's death for another couple of days when Redwall Wiki posted about it.

There are actually a good number of Redwall books that I only have in paperback, ones that come to mind are Mariel and Doomwyte. I don't have any used book stores in my area (the closest being the library I work at during a book sale week) and the chain stores really only carry the Ace paperbacks at this point. I used to use Amazon to order them, but as I looked for older books, the condition description got to be less accurate and prices got really inflated. I'd suggest going to Abebooks if you want to order them online. The prices are a lot more realistic and you can search by ISBN to get a specific version of the book you want
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

You’re welcome! I tend to post only a few times a week, but I’ll check the forums on a regular basis for activity. It just depends on how things go at work/my writing after work.

Interesting that we have a similar story about that. I remember being in my living room and checking twitter when the Redwall Wiki tweeted about his death. I think I went so far as to even mark the page I was on when it happened.

Thanks for the suggestion to check out Abebooks. I hadn’t heard of them before, but after taking a quick peek, I know I’ll be able to purchase some U.K. hardcovers with little fuss. I do like the new editions of the paperbacks, but would rather having them in hardcover. If a Half Price Books does open in your area, I strongly recommend you check them out. They tend to have an excellent selection.

I started collecting the newsstand style paperbacks, but quickly grew to hate them. Everything felt cramped, and the pages tended to close easier, so I’d lose my place. I know there are worse things in the world, but I just despised them. Whenever I do get new copies, I give them to people that I hope to hook into the series. Worked for one friend, but not exactly the other.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Yeah, I noticed that the covers of the 2005 Firebird paperbacks tended to flake so that you ended up with white patches on the cover. They must have done something new for the 2010 paperbacks because the new ones are perfectly fine.

I've actually donated some duplicate copies to my library. The only ones they need are High Rhulain and Eulalia!. They go out periodically, so I hope that people are getting interested. I've actually been hoping to do a Redwall event there for a while. I was offered the chance to do it just after I started working there, but I didn't take it. I just wanted to get accustomed to working there first. I did make a display window at that time, though. If I can find the picture, I'll post it.

Good on you for making more copies of the series available to potential new readers. Unless you’re shopping on amazon or another online retailer, it’s not always easy to find the exact book in the series that you want. There were a few times when I started my collection that I’d run to Borders (when they were still around) and try to find the ones I needed. Usually I’d pick up a different one instead, but if you already had the copies you were out of luck.

I’m sure you’ll get another chance to display the series. I always wanted to be a librarian, and if I had the chance, Redwall would definitely be my first choice in promoting a series. I try to recommend it to people I know when they're looking for books to read. Totally understandable why you wouldn’t want to try it when you’re first acclimating to a new job, though. And if you find it, definitely post the picture!
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Looking out for stories yet to be told...
    I figured this is the best place to put this, so...I just picked up a copy of the Ribbajack yesterday. I finished it three minutes ago and I enjoyed it a TON. I really liked the creepy stories, and they made me wish there was more of that in the Redwall books. Not to say there wasn't any, but I never got that feeling of being a bit scared as I read.

Interestingly enough, I can tie this in with the discussion about library displays and my post. In my school library last year, the librarians pulled together a bunch of books for the new (at the time) Divergent movie, separating them into factions like comedy, dystopian, and horror. You'd never guess what was the only book in the horror section...Marlfox. That's right; the horror faction. I saw it and had to do a double take to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me, and, in fact, they weren't. A day after I saw the display, the book was gone, and that made me smile to myself.

I found Marlfox to be a bit more mysterious than the others, but not very fear-inducing, did any of you find it scary?

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    I figured this is the best place to put this, so...I just picked up a copy of the Ribbajack yesterday. I finished it three minutes ago and I enjoyed it a TON. I really liked the creepy stories, and they made me wish there was more of that in the Redwall books. Not to say there wasn't any, but I never got that feeling of being a bit scared as I read.
    I've been itching to pick up both The Ribbajack and Seven Strange & Ghostly Tales, as I too am a fan of creepy stories (and write them). I've always toyed around with writing a few ghost stories written in the universe of Mossflower and Redwall Abbey, as the potential is there. Certainly there had to have been tales, especially around winter time when there's not much else to do in the Abbey.

Actually, you should totally make a thread about creepy moments in Redwall. I would, but I don't want to take that from you. I think there's quite a few moments of horror in the series that's worth discussing. Brian doesn't delve too much into it, but there is horror. Heck, the Abbey itself is guarded over by the spirit of a long dead warrior, that's a ghost story right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    Interestingly enough, I can tie this in with the discussion about library displays and my post. In my school library last year, the librarians pulled together a bunch of books for the new (at the time) Divergent movie, separating them into factions like comedy, dystopian, and horror. You'd never guess what was the only book in the horror section...Marlfox. That's right; the horror faction. I saw it and had to do a double take to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me, and, in fact, they weren't. A day after I saw the display, the book was gone, and that made me smile to myself.

I found Marlfox to be a bit more mysterious than the others, but not very fear-inducing, did any of you find it scary?
    Marlfox oozes with mystery, especially at the beginning with the disappearing/reappearing titular marlfoxes. Other than that, I can't think of anything that was too frightening. I almost wish Brian would've done more with it, with the Marlfoxes antagonizing the Abbey with the disappearing act. Of any of the books, Salamandastron probably has more elements of horror in it, with the Deepcoiler and Urthwyte appearing like a ghost. Doomwyte probably would work as well, with the Will-o-wisp bits.

Hopefully, the person who checked out Marlfox wasn't too disappointed in their choice and ended up a fan.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I found the picture of the display. I took it with my 3DS before I got a smartphone and didn't have a proper camera on me. That does mean that the quality is pretty bad, but you still get an idea of what it looks like. Before anyone asks, yes, that is a stuffed ferret dressed up to look like Ferahgo the Assassin. Our library director is amazing and has wide variety of resources for stuff we do at the library. One of those just happened to be a stuffed ferret. I have a cleaner picture of the ferret that I could scan in and post at some time, perhaps as my profile picture.

Just so this post is on topic, when do you think you'll be able to the Mossflower entry into your Redwall collection series up? I'm curious to see if there are any editions of Mossflower I haven't heard of. I'm equally excited for Martin the Warrior.

Also, I wanted to mention that I picked up an unwritten copy of the Redwall Diary 1996. It was pretty cheap, so I took a gamble on Abebooks for it and got lucky. It's absolutely fantastic to look at. Look here if you want to see what LordTBT had to say about it on the Redwall Wiki.