Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Redwall Collection - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Redwall Collection

You took a picture of it with your 3DS? Nice! Now you can enjoy it in glorious 3D! I like the display, and think you did a great job with it. Kudos on adding a map of Mossflower in there.

And you had a stuffed creation of Ferahgo the Assassin? That only adds to the awesomeness of the display. I’d definitely like to see a clearer picture of your Ferahgo. If Redwall ever had plushies made of the characters, I’d be the kind of nerd who would’ve tried to collect them all.

And that’s cool that you have the diary. Looking at the link you’ve provided, it’ll definitely be something I’ll look to add to my collection later.

And I’ll second waiting in anticipation for the Mossflower section to Martin’s collection series.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Looking out for stories yet to be told...
    I was walking through downtown Salt Lake today, when I came to what appeared to be a small used book store. Upon entering, I discovered that it was in fact, quite huge! There was a first floor full of classics, cookbooks, Sci-fi novels, and rare books, a basement full of National Geographic (1st link below) and the usual Utah stuff (Genealogy, LDS history, blah, blah, blah...). Then, on the second floor, as soon as I got off the stairs, there appeared before me the holy grail of bookshelves. It was (with the exception of three or four books) entirely filled with Redwall. There were 117 copies of all the books from Redwall to Loamhedge. (nothing from Rakkety Tam to Rouge Crew unfortunately) there were hardback first editions, American and British paperbacks, and even a copy of the graphic novel (which I bought for myself).
    I borrowed my friend's ancient phone, and got a few pics and a video, where my friend is narrating in the background. I managed to get them on my computer, and there are the links below.

I couldn't find the cookbook, so I guess I'll just have to buy it from that lifeblood sucking amazon bookstore. (by that I mean it is killing stores like the one that I am talking about here, which are amazing and can't be replaced by a computer, I mean, can you get old book smell from a computer? I don't think so!)

So if you are in the Salt Lake area, check out this place, it's called Eborn Books, it is on Main street, just a bit south of City Creek along the western side of the street, past a few pubs and A Jos. A. Bank, there is a big red awning. It looks a bit run down from the outside, but it is SO worth your time to check it out!

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6a3c1cb8.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/...ps47164c78.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/...psc2c3b9eb.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/...ps587f74c9.jpg

http://vid1310.photobucket.com/album...ps5yztzbtg.mp4

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

That’s a pretty impressive used bookstore. I don’t have many around where I live, but there’s one by my friend called Toad Hall that’s crammed full of great stuff like books and comics. I picked up hardcover copies of The Legend of Luke and Doomwyte there. But finding the British versions of the books? That's hitting the jackpot! Nice find with the Redwall graphic novel, too. I was able to pick that up at Borders before they closed down. What do you think of it?

Whenever I’m in a used bookstore like TH or Half Price Books, I check their Redwall selection for any hardcovers I don't have. Sometimes they don't have any, but sometimes I'll find one I don't have yet.

And dude, be careful dissing Amazon out loud. You know they’re making drones for delivery, right? Who knows what they could do to their enemies. If you want to find the cookbook without going through Amazon, you should try T.W.'s suggestion with ABEbooks.com. I'm impressed with their selection from the little bit I've searched on there.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I like the art style of the graphic novel. It is my first such book, so I don't have anything to compare it to, which is why I am going to show it to my friend who is the resident expert on the subject to see how it compares to others. I liked how there were some very specific details that were kept in, but there were others that were omitted completely. Granted it must do this because it can't be the length of the actual book, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

The art is well done in my mind, and there is good depth to it, great use of shadows, and Asmodeus is terrifying and awesome to see. I found myself rushing through the first time, so I'll re-read it and focus on slowing down. Overall I like it and am glad I found it.

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Yes, I definitely suggest anyone who wants to pick up something like international books check out Abebooks.

Looking at that bookshop makes me wish that I had a used bookstore in my area. The closest bookshop is a Barnes and Noble about twenty minutes away. I'd probably spend too much there, anyway. Looking at that large paperback copy of Outcast of Redwall in the last picture, I think it might be an advance copy. I haven't seen one before, so I could be wrong. If you get a chance to go back and take a look, it would be cool to pick it up.

I'll post the picture of the stuffed Ferahgo next time I'm home. I don't have a digital copy, so I'll have to scan it in. If you look at the picture I posted, you should be able to see it on the lower shelf.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    I like the art style of the graphic novel. It is my first such book, so I don't have anything to compare it to, which is why I am going to show it to my friend who is the resident expert on the subject to see how it compares to others. I liked how there were some very specific details that were kept in, but there were others that were omitted completely. Granted it must do this because it can't be the length of the actual book, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

The art is well done in my mind, and there is good depth to it, great use of shadows, and Asmodeus is terrifying and awesome to see. I found myself rushing through the first time, so I'll re-read it and focus on slowing down. Overall I like it and am glad I found it.
    Graphic novels are brisk reads. I tend to fly through them in my first read through, and then pace myself with subsequent reads. That way, I slow down and try to appreciate the detail and art that went into making the novel.

I, too, liked the artwork, but I think some of the vermin look a bit off. Cluny and the rats look like some sort of mix between rat and alligator with how long their mouths and teeth are.

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    Yes, I definitely suggest anyone who wants to pick up something like international books check out Abebooks.

Looking at that bookshop makes me wish that I had a used bookstore in my area. The closest bookshop is a Barnes and Noble about twenty minutes away. I'd probably spend too much there, anyway. Looking at that large paperback copy of Outcast of Redwall in the last picture, I think it might be an advance copy. I haven't seen one before, so I could be wrong. If you get a chance to go back and take a look, it would be cool to pick it up.

I'll post the picture of the stuffed Ferahgo next time I'm home. I don't have a digital copy, so I'll have to scan it in. If you look at the picture I posted, you should be able to see it on the lower shelf.
    I can see it a little bit, but a scanned version would be awesome. No rush though.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Quick question, has anyone seen this edition of Redwall before? It's the only time I've seen Redwall with a subtitle in English. It looks like someone cut out part of one of the Russian covers and pasted into onto a generic background and put the title and author on with MS Paint. It could be real (and so I mentioned it to LordTBT at the Redwall Wiki about), but I think that it's probably a bootleg edition or something like that. The biggest thing pointing to it being official is that it has a working ISBN that I tracked it down with. I don't know much about publishing, but wouldn't a book need to be catalogued officially to get a working ISBN? If it was catalogued and was unofficial, wouldn't it have been picked out for copyright issues. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about that stuff. I thought about picking up a copy just to check it out, but I just bought a couple things and I don't want to spend too much at one time since I'm a poor college student. That and I don't want to support it if it's breaking copyright. So what does everyone else think? Official or not?

Also, I haven't forgotten about that Ferahgo picture. I'll be able to scan it in this weekend.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Quick question, has anyone seen this edition of Redwall before? It's the only time I've seen Redwall with a subtitle in English. It looks like someone cut out part of one of the Russian covers and pasted into onto a generic background and put the title and author on with MS Paint. It could be real (and so I mentioned it to LordTBT at the Redwall Wiki about), but I think that it's probably a bootleg edition or something like that. The biggest thing pointing to it being official is that it has a working ISBN that I tracked it down with. I don't know much about publishing, but wouldn't a book need to be catalogued officially to get a working ISBN? If it was catalogued and was unofficial, wouldn't it have been picked out for copyright issues. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about that stuff. I thought about picking up a copy just to check it out, but I just bought a couple things and I don't want to spend too much at one time since I'm a poor college student. That and I don't want to support it if it's breaking copyright. So what does everyone else think? Official or not?
    It's certainly new to me, though I'm not exactly an expert on the the subject. The same goes for publishing as well. I mean, a publisher is listed on the link you provided, and they do have a website (or at least I think I found it, I could be wrong). http://www.birchtreepub.com/ Seems like they specialize in books for young adults/teens.

I do think that cover looks pretty nice, though. If it is a legit version, it's interesting that they gave the book a subtitle.

As for extra cash, there's always plasma. That's what I did . At least until the incident happened...

Also, I haven't forgotten about that Ferahgo picture. I'll be able to scan it in this weekend.
    Awesome, can't wait to see it!
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

The only collection I own is Mossflower and Redwall... Ahaha.

Sorry this is a little late. I thought I posted it last Sunday, but the post obviously didn't take or something.

Here's the picture of Ferahgo.

LordTBT got back to me about that cover image a while ago and said that he had come to the same conclusion that it was an unofficial publication. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with publishing regulations, but it does surprise me that this got through whatever cataloguing system there is. I guess the change in name, coupled with the fact that there hasn't been a Redwall book in a few years now meant that it didn't send off any red flags. Now that I think of it, the name Redwall hasn't even appeared in a title since 1995 with Outcast of Redwall.

Maybe it's just one of those publishers who uses loopholes in the system to publish preexisting works. I always thought that was how all those cheap Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter knockoff copies came about. It does surprise me that such a small publisher has a big name like Peter Beagle, though. I read his book The Last Unicorn and his short stories Lila the Werewolf and Come, Lady Death this summer and they were very good.

Wow, that Ferahgo doll is pure awesomeness. Too bad you couldn't keep it, but I'm glad you were able to snap a picture of him in time. Thank you for going the extra mile and posting it!

And excellent detective work. That's an interesting little find. Considering all of the issues with copyright, I'm surprised it managed to get through.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

That is really cool, I wish my library did stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer View Post
    Wow, that Ferahgo doll is pure awesomeness.
    I think Ferahgo might object to having a "doll" though

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    I think Ferahgo might object to having a "doll" though
    Haha, I think you're right about that. I think he'd like a Urthstripe doll, though... for stabbing purposes of course.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Well, on the off chance that I come across a stuffed badger...

Has anyone here had the chance to listen to any off the audiobooks? It's always a highlight to hear Brian tell the stories himself. I've also made it no secret that I love Billy Maher's adaptations of the songs and poems.

I have nine of them on my iPod, Redwall, Mattimeo, Mossflower, Martin the Warrior, Taggerung, Triss, The Long Patrol, Rakkety Tam, and High Rhulain. All of which are truly amazing and a joy to listen to, from the cast of characters to Brian narrating, there are very few things I dislike about them and I ope to get the rest soon.(The fact that they are all around $20 US is high on that list of complaints).

Edit: with some 'quick' math, I found that I have 104 hours, 19 minutes, and 2 seconds of Redwall audiobooks on my iPod. That's about 4 & 5/8 days.
    Last edited by Schröder; December 9th, 2014 at 01:02 AM.