Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Discussion

Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Discussion

Well, itís that time again. While certainly gamers get excited for many other series new releases, thereís something undeniably special about a new Smash Brothers game. Even if itís not necessarily your cup of tea, Smash has a huge enough reputation that even those cynical with Nintendo allow themselves to be excited for a new entry.

Iíve been pumped for the new Smash Brothers since it was announced that it would be cross platform. When 3DS first launched, I wished there had been some sort of Melee re-release for it. I still think it wouldíve helped with the systemís slow start. Anyhow, since Nintendo showed the first trailer last year and revealed Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer as new characters, Nintendoís done a fine job selecting and toning the roster for this gen. While Iím sad with two characters that wonít be coming back, Iím overall pleased with the new selection of characters, especially the new fighters. I wonít reveal anything that hasnít been officially announced yet unless someone else chooses to do so. Regardless, thereís one secret character Iím pleased to see (and eventually smash off the screen).

I was one of the lucky ones to get the demo early last week (pays to be a Club Nintendo member =D ), and Iíve liked what Iíve played so far. I was worried the screen on the 3DS would be too small for the chaos that ensues during a smash match, but so far it hasnít been a problem. Villager will definitely be a contender this go around, and Iíve had fun messing around with Mega Man.

Anyone else get a chance to play the demo yet?
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet (although I hope to sit down with a few games this week), but I'm looking forward to the new Smash Bros. I sunk an extensive amount of time into the original and Melee... I never quite got into Brawl in the same way. It almost seemed like they'd packed too much into the game and it was hard to know where to begin. Part of that was the controller fragmentation-- for some reason, even the GC controller on the Wii felt "off" for my reflexes. But I definitely need(ed) to spend more time with it, even now.

But Smash Bros. itself has been such a fun franchise that it's hard not to look forward to a new entry. Really curious to see the amiibo integration, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer
    Regardless, thereís one secret character Iím pleased to see (and eventually smash off the screen).
    Spoiler!

Seconded.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

I did manage to get the demo early and I have to say that I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I thought that Smash would be too hectic for a handheld screen, but it's actually really good. Of the five playable characters, I'm playing as Link the most. That's no surprise, though, because I used Link the most in Melee and Toon Link the most in Brawl. I find myself liking Mario more than I did in any of the other games and Villager plays pretty well. Pikachu and Mega Man I just can't get into. Mega Man was one of the characters along with Little Mac that I knew I had no real interest in playing as. I am excited to try Robin and Rosalina. The only cuts that disappoint me are Wolf and Lucas since they were among my most used Brawlers.

Is there anyone you'd have liked to see that didn't make it? My most wanted characters were Waluigi, Krystal, and Ghirahim. I'm disappointed none of them got in. I guess Waluigi and Krystal have a chance later on since they are returning characters, but Ghirahim is a one off character so he's only going to get less likely as time goes on.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. Itís not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by Martin the Warrior View Post
    Haven't had a chance to play the demo yet (although I hope to sit down with a few games this week), but I'm looking forward to the new Smash Bros. I sunk an extensive amount of time into the original and Melee... I never quite got into Brawl in the same way. It almost seemed like they'd packed too much into the game and it was hard to know where to begin. Part of that was the controller fragmentation-- for some reason, even the GC controller on the Wii felt "off" for my reflexes. But I definitely need(ed) to spend more time with it, even now.

But Smash Bros. itself has been such a fun franchise that it's hard not to look forward to a new entry. Really curious to see the amiibo integration, too.
    I felt the same way about Brawl. It came out while I lived pretty far away from all of my friends, so I didnít get much chance for multiplayer until a few years later. It has some fantastic stages, but overall I had more fun playing with Melee. The controller conundrum wasnít as much of a problem for me, but it did take some time getting used to the Classic Controller after years of using the GC controller. I adapted to it, but ended up picking up a few Wavebirds just for the game.

Agreed on the Amiibo interaction. I donít play Skylanders (though I own the PS3 version) and Disney Infinity, but Iíll probably end up with a collection of them. Waiting with anticipation for the eventual Ness figurine.

AndÖ

Quote Originally Posted by Martin the Warrior View Post
    Spoiler!

Seconded.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    I did manage to get the demo early and I have to say that I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I thought that Smash would be too hectic for a handheld screen, but it's actually really good. Of the five playable characters, I'm playing as Link the most. That's no surprise, though, because I used Link the most in Melee and Toon Link the most in Brawl. I find myself liking Mario more than I did in any of the other games and Villager plays pretty well. Pikachu and Mega Man I just can't get into. Mega Man was one of the characters along with Little Mac that I knew I had no real interest in playing as. I am excited to try Robin and Rosalina. The only cuts that disappoint me are Wolf and Lucas since they were among my most used Brawlers.

Is there anyone you'd have liked to see that didn't make it? My most wanted characters were Waluigi, Krystal, and Ghirahim. I'm disappointed none of them got in. I guess Waluigi and Krystal have a chance later on since they are returning characters, but Ghirahim is a one off character so he's only going to get less likely as time goes on.
    Havenít tried Link out yet, or Mario. Linkís usually a solid character, though, even if I prefer Toon Link in Brawl.

Of the new characters, while I canít wait to try them all out, I canít wait to play as Shulk or Greninja. Robinís near the top of the list as well. Iím pleased with all of the choices for new characters.

I too regret seeing Wolf cut from the roster, as I liked using the slower Fox/Falco moveset. Plus thereís something charming about the garbled ďPlay time is overĒ screeching through the wiimote speakers. Lucas is a sad loss as well, as are the Ice Climbers.

Good choices on who youíd like to see in the next version. Iím waiting for Waluigi to show up one of these days. Iíd probably add Dixie or Cranky Kong (especially after playing DK Tropical Freeze), or possibly Wart from SMB2. Maybe Groose or Midna?
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

The only Donkey Kong game I've actually had a chance to play was DK 64, and that was only a little bit many years ago.

I never really expected Groose to be playable, but I would have absolutely loved it if he had been. I just thought Ghirahim was more likely. I honestly believed him to be the most likely character on my wish list. At least he and Waluigi are Assist Trophies. I know Krystal has a trophy, too. I didn't think about it until just now, but I was disappointed to find out that there are no new Star Fox conversations in Smash 3DS, but apparently Corneria from Melee is the only Star Fox stage in the 3DS version. I really hope Smash Wii U has some new ones. Come to think of it, I enjoyed playing as Snake, but the only reason I'll miss him is the codec conversations. I loved those.

I was originally going to collect all of the Amiibo because I'm a completionist, but with Lego's announcement that they're bringing back BIONICLE...
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. Itís not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

DK 64 might be the only one Iíve never actually played. I also donít have much experience with DKC3, but that one didnít have DK or Diddy. Not sure what Rare was thinking with that decision.

Did you ever play Diddy Kong Racing? Now that was a fun game. Much harder than Mario Kart 64, but I do have fond memories of it.

Speaking of Skyward Sword, thatís another game I have to get back into. It came out during the worst part of my Graduate work, so Iíve only played most of the first area. Shame on me, I know.

And thatís a bummer about the Star Fox conversations. The chattiness of the series is one of itís most beloved hallmarks. The codec conversations with Slippy were the best of the bunch. Speaking of Slippy, heíd be a fun addition to the roster. Iíd hope theyíd give him a different moveset than Fox/Falco. On the plus side of the Star Fox franchise, at least a new one is on the way. And Iím sure the Wii U version will have a completely new stage. Not sure where, though. Maybe the landmaster level?

If Bionicle is what has your interest, go for it. As long as Nintendo is successful with the Amiibos, they shouldnít be too hard to miss, besides the inevitable special editions.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I barely remember playing Diddy Kong Racing, it was so long ago. I rarely played it so I never really go the hand of it.

If you get the chance, definitely go back to Skyward Sword. It has some of the best characters, story, and gameplay. I know the motion controls are a bit controversial, but I think they add a lot to the game. It's my favorite Zelda game and probably most fun single-player game I've ever played.

Back to Smash Bros., what characters did you use the most in the previous games? I never owned Smash 64, but I remember playing as Link a lot. Same with Melee, but I think I also used Luigi, Samus, Ganondorf, and Zelda. Brawl was the one where I really started expanding my character list. I use Toon Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Samus, Fox, Wolf, Lucas, and Marth. I also picked up Ike recently. Am I the only one who felt like Link was much heavier in Brawl than in all of the other games?

I am going to miss the Subspace Emissary. The gameplay is still in Smash 3DS with the new Smash Run, but the great part was seeing all of the Nintendo characters interact with each other.

Diddy Kong Racing is a tough game to get a hold on. I think itís what kept me from playing it more when I was younger. I remember the hovercraft being particularly difficult to properly control.

Iíll definitely go back to Skyward Sword at some point. I want to finish all the Zeldas I never got around to playing/finishing. Majoraís Mask is at the top of that list, along with Wind Waker. Iím at least to the Tower of the Gods in the WiiU version, so Iím sure one of these days Iíll finish it. As for Majora, itís heavily rumored that itíll have a 3DS remake (fingers crossed), so I think Iíd wait for that version, as I finished Ocarina of Time for the first time with itís 3DS remake.

For characters I used the most in previous versions:

For all of them, I really like Kirby. Heís easy to use, and I tend to abuse his ground pound attack. In Smash 64, I was also a Pikachu, Captain Falcon, and Samus. Smash 64 is what got me to check out Earthbound, as I hadnít heard of it before playing it. So glad I did.

For Melee, I loved playing as Ice Climbers, Ness, Dr. Mario, Marth, and Roy, in addition to Samus. Any time I could finish off an opponent with Marth and Royís charge sword attack Iíd go for it.

In Brawl, I liked tinkering around with King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Wolf, Ness/Lucas, Snake, and Samus. I know he wasnít all that popular, but I liked using Wolf, as sometimes Fox/Falco are a bit too fast in my opinion. I felt like I had more control over him, rather than the other two.

Iíll miss Subspace as well. I remember watching any of the preview cut scenes when I was waiting for the game to come out. The story is fun, and has a lot of hilarious moments. Iím bummed as well that it looks like theyíre gone from this version.

I know Brawl gets trashed on for all the things it changed, but I loved it. I wouldíve played it more if I had more friends around to enjoy it with. One of the best things to come out of Brawl was definitely the Smash Ball. It was a game changer, and nothing feels better than grabbing and unleashing it on your foes. On the other hand, nothing makes you feel more embarrassed than grabbing it and completely wasting/missing with it.

What were some of your favorite stages in the previous versions? Smash Brothers always has great levels to run around in, though thereís a few that might be a bit too chaotic.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Hey T.W., looks like you got your wish. A new Starfox level has been announced for the WiiU version of Smash Brothers!

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/o...medium=twitter
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I haven't played Smash 64 in years. The only stage I remember playing on a lot was Hyrule Castle. I really liked the Mother stages in Melee and Brawl and I'm really excited for the Magicant stage in Smash 3D. I remember wishing that Peach's Castle, Great Bay, and Poke Floats were Past Stages in Brawl. I really liked those stages. I liked all of the stages in Brawl, so I never favored any of them. Last I checked the stage stats, it looked like I've picked all the stages about the same time. I did really like the Pirate Ship stage and the world 1-1 version of Mushroomy Kingdom. Smash just has so many great stages that it's hard for me to pick specific ones.

I had to look up the stages to remind me which ones I really liked. In doing that, I realized that all but one Yoshi stage in the entire Smash series has been called Yoshi's Island. Both Melee and Brawl had two stages called Yoshi's Island.

It was only a couple days ago that I posted my hopes about a Star Fox stage on Wii U that would have the Easter Egg Star Fox conversations and today a stage based on Star Fox: Assault it is confirmed. Ask and you shall receive, I suppose.

I haven't played Smash 64 in years. The only stage I remember playing on a lot was Hyrule Castle. I really liked the Mother stages in Melee and Brawl and I'm really excited for the Magicant stage in Smash 3D. I remember wishing that Peach's Castle, Great Bay, and Poke Floats were Past Stages in Brawl. I really liked those stages. I liked all of the stages in Brawl, so I never favored any of them. Last I checked the stage stats, it looked like I've picked all the stages about the same time. I did really like the Pirate Ship stage and the world 1-1 version of Mushroomy Kingdom. Smash just has so many great stages that it's hard for me to pick specific ones.
    Mother stages are a lot of fun. New Pork City is a little busy on the eyes, so I tend to lose sight of my character. Fourside is my favorite of the bunch. I'm pumped for the Magicant stage, as that was one of my favorite areas in Earthbound.

Mushroomy Kingdom was another great one. I use the underground theme from it as a ringtone on my phone. You're right, though. Brawl had excellent stages. I loved the Warioware stage, and how you had to participate in the games when they came up, or you suffered damage. Pictochat was another fun stage to play, with the constant changing platforms. Also liked Peach's Castle, Poke Floats, and especially Great Bay in Melee. Loved the detail of the moon slowly coming closer to the stage, only to get pushed back at the very end.

I had to look up the stages to remind me which ones I really liked. In doing that, I realized that all but one Yoshi stage in the entire Smash series has been called Yoshi's Island. Both Melee and Brawl had two stages called Yoshi's Island.
    Hopefully the new games will have more creative titles for the Yoshi stage. Granted, that's the series Yoshi is known for, but one can hope. Too bad there probably won't be a Yoshi's Wooly World stage. Crossing my fingers for a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage.

It was only a couple days ago that I posted my hopes about a Star Fox stage on Wii U that would have the Easter Egg Star Fox conversations and today a stage based on Star Fox: Assault it is confirmed. Ask and you shall receive, I suppose.
    Ha, I think we were posting this info at the same time. I'm glad they put one in though for the Starfox fans.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Funnily enough, I didn't realize Smash Brothers for 3DS came out this week until the day of. That ended up being fine by me, as waiting for Brawl drove me nuts. I downloaded it last night to my 3DS and I've spent a little more than an hour with it just trying out the new characters. So far I haven't found a dud in the bunch, though I like some more than others. Anyone else pick it up and spend some time with it?

Of the new characters, I'm diggine Gredinja with his moveset and speed and Robin's mix of sword attacks and magic. I also liked the matches I've spent with Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, and Petunia. Pac-Man is interesting, but I think it'll take me awhile before I get him down. Wasn't that big of a fan of Little Mac or Rosalina, but they probably take more time to get accustomed with in their fighting styles.

The new stages are great additions as well. Paper Mario is tricky, though. It's hard to keep your character on stage during the final transformation. I'd imagine stock matches will end quickly on this stage.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I made an unexpected trip home on Friday and managed to pick up Smash 3DS day one. I'm absolutely loving it so far. My only problem is that only a couple of my friends have 3DSes, so I can't play Smash with the people I usually do. I guess Brawl isn't obsolete yet. Robin is by far my favorite newcomer, but even he hasn't usurped Toon Link as my favorite character. I love playing as Rosalina and Lucina just as much as I thought I would. Wii Fit Trainer and Palutena are fun too, but I've found them a bit hard to use. I'll definitely be trying to unlock Palutena's custom moves, because a counter move and a reflect move on one character is a bit overkill. Bowser Jr. caught me off guard and I love playing as him. He was my last unlock since I've never really played with Bowser in the other games. Most of the characters were pretty easy to unlock, but I seem to remember that was the point. The Smash 3DS has easy unlocks and challenges and focuses on single player, while Smash Wii U will be harder and more multiplayer oriented.

What's your favorite stage so far? I think mine might be Magicant. The Flying Men are cool and the stage has loads of Mother references. It's interesting that none of the new stages really fit the typical stage design. I think I like it better when they all have quirks to them. Does anyone else feel like the F-Zero stage is odd? I like it, but something about the visuals just seem odd to me.

Iím still working on unlocking the characters. I have Bowser Jr, Jigglypuff, and Ganondorf. Also, still waiting to unlock Flat Zone 2 for stages. Iím finding the new characters to put up quite a fight in unlocking them. Duck Hunt Dog was especially frustrating, as his recovery is outstanding, as was Dark Pit. Wasnít much of a Bowser player before, but I find heís very good at building up damage and launching characters off screen to unlock them.

As for favorite new stages, Iím also digging Magicant. I love the Mother series, and find myself watching the little clips they throw in the background. I wish it was going to be in the WiiU version too instead of Onett, which has been in two games so far. The Flying Men are also an interesting addition, and theyíre very helpful if you get to them first. As for the F-Zero stage, are the Mode-7 graphics throwing you off? I kind of like it.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

So how is everyone coming along with Smash 3DS so far? I think it's pretty fun, but it is a bit disappointing that I haven't had anyone to play against. I've never really been one for online matches. Smash Run is cool, though. I just wish that there was a bit more variety in terms of battles and events. I guess it's worth bringing up Mewtwo. If you haven't heard, he's going to be available for download for people that buy both Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U. Honestly, I'd have rather Wolf or Lucas announced. I've never really understood Mewtwo's popularity. I've never found him that interesting design-wise and he was only ever really powerful in Red and Blue.

Getting back to the F-Zero stage, it probably just looked odd because I keep the 3D on always and the stage has a lot of "depth". I don't even really notice it now that I've gotten use to it. A lot of people been complaining that the new Smash games have no new flat stages like Final Destination or Battlefield. My question is, what's the point of adding these types of stages when you have the new Omega setting?