Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Discussion - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    So how is everyone coming along with Smash 3DS so far? I think it's pretty fun, but it is a bit disappointing that I haven't had anyone to play against. I've never really been one for online matches. Smash Run is cool, though. I just wish that there was a bit more variety in terms of battles and events. I guess it's worth bringing up Mewtwo. If you haven't heard, he's going to be available for download for people that buy both Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U. Honestly, I'd have rather Wolf or Lucas announced. I've never really understood Mewtwo's popularity. I've never found him that interesting design-wise and he was only ever really powerful in Red and Blue.

Getting back to the F-Zero stage, it probably just looked odd because I keep the 3D on always and the stage has a lot of "depth". I don't even really notice it now that I've gotten use to it. A lot of people been complaining that the new Smash games have no new flat stages like Final Destination or Battlefield. My question is, what's the point of adding these types of stages when you have the new Omega setting?
    Iím enjoying Smash 3DS, though I havenít been able to play it much as of late. Messing around with Trophy Rush to get more trophies/costumes. Havenít messed too much with Smash Run, but Iíll keep plugging away at it.

Iím cool with Mewtwo joining in, but I do hope Lucas and Wolf find their way back. At least this announcement gives the possibility that they could return. At least it isnít Pichu, right?

As for Mewtwo not being useful since Red/Blue, Dark types really nerfed the Psychic type starting with Gold/Silver. I still like them, though, but there are others Iíd rather use.

People are complaining about the lack of flat stages? Theyíre the most boring! Then again, I donít really get the whole Smash Tourney scene. Nothing wrong with it, but just not for me. Plus it ignores what I think is great about the series, with all of the chaos from the crazy stages and items. The only items I turn off are the health items. The omega stages should be enough to satisfy them, but you canít make everyone happy I guess.
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I'm enjoying Trophy Rush, too. I really like that there's an easy way to pick up trophies in this game. I still need five or six random trophies in Brawl. At least there aren't any event trophies like there were in Melee. Event Pokťmon were impossible to get back then, I can only imagine how hard it was to get to the trophy events.

Anyone else excited for 8-player Smash for Smash Wii U? I'll be picking it up this Friday, but I'm not sure I'll be doing 8-player anytime soon. What amiibo are you thinking of getting? Marth, Link, and Fox are going to the first ones I get. Then Zelda, Rosalina, and some of the others that I usually play as when they come out in a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer View Post
    As for Mewtwo not being useful since Red/Blue, Dark types really nerfed the Psychic type starting with Gold/Silver. I still like them, though, but there are others Iíd rather use.
    That makes sense. I never really saw Psychic types as the "ultimate" type, but the first Pokťmon games I played were Ruby and Sapphire. In retrospect, that's kind of odd since I'd watched the show for years and years before.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. Itís not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Youíre just down to five or six trophies? My capís off to you, thatís some real dedication! One of the comic creators for the now defunct webcomic 2pstart managed to get them all around two years ago, and he played practically every day trying to earn them. There were event trophies? I mustíve missed out on hearing about them. I knew the ones you could get if you had Luigiís Mansion or Pikmin saves on them, but not events like Pokemon. I didnít even go to my first Pokemon digital event until the Diamond and Pearl days, and I was there from the beginning (with a few year break between G/S and R/S). I do enjoy Trophy Rush, though I miss the adventure run in Melee, where you could pick some up if you were daring.

Iíll be downloading the WiiU version on Friday. I wish I could enjoy the 8-player mode with friends, but I doubt Iíll ever have enough over to take advantage of it. I will try it out with a smaller group of friends if it allows the others to be CPU controlled, which I canít imagine why you couldnít. Good on them for being so ambitious with it.

As for Amiibos, Iíll most likely pick up Link, Fox, Shulk, Ness, Pit, Villager, and the Pokemon ones when they become available. I probably wonít rush out to get them right away, but pick them up over time.

As for Psychic Pokemon, back in the day they were the top tier type. Once or twice I went through my copy of Blue with an all Psychic team and never ran into a problem. You couldnít do that now, or even with the remakes on GBA. By the R/S days, Game Freak had changed things up so much that only pokemon like Alakazam and Espeon were all that viable. Nowadays, I think theyíre a little more useful, but not like the Red and Blue days.
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I'm actually trying to get a group of people over sometime next week while all my friends are home for Thanksgiving break for 8-player Smash. I'm not sure how that will work, but I'm willing to try.

I'm excited to try the new Stage Builder. Brawl's was a little limited, but the Smash Wii U's really does have infinite potential since you can draw the stages yourself in addition to adding obstacles.

I think I was just lucky with trophy drops in Brawl. That and I played a lot of Subspace Emissary when Brawl first came out. I haven't played it by myself in years and I only get to play it with other people occasionally.

I might pick up the Link amiibo if the Gamestop in town has one, but I won't be too disappointed if they don't have it. Maybe I'll pick up one a month until I've got all the ones that I want. I just found the list of the amiibo planned for release and the ones that I plan to pick up are Fox, Marth, Link, Zelda, Rosalina, and Toon Link. Now I just have to hope for Robin, Bowser Jr., Lucina, and Ganondorf.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. Itís not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Well, I downloaded Smash on Thursday with Nintendo's nifty "pre-download the game and have it ready when it comes out" deal. I spent Friday and yesterday trying out the new stages, and I'm very happy with how it's turned out. I know some might feel cheated with buying the 3DS version, but I think both have compelling exclusive levels. I'm liking how the Metroid and Xenoblade stages have their own boss characters that show up and try to mess with everyone.

Tried out 8 player smash, and it's so chaotic. I have a hard time following my character sometimes in Smash, and this is so much worse, but still quite fun. Haven't tried stage builder or most of the new modes, but I have a feeling I'll be playing this for a very long time.

And now, I must make a confession. I thought I was strong willed. I thought I could avoid buying any amiibos. I have the first Skylanders, but only the three figures that came with the game. However, after taking a trip to Target yesterday, they drew me to them like a siren's song. I left the store with only two: Fox McCloud and Villager, but I foresee myself buying many many more.

And I'm sure Robin, Bowser Jr., Lucina, and Ganondorf will show up eventually.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Actually, I picked up Mr. McCloud's amiibo figure, too. I don't think the production pictures do him justice. When I looked at pictures of the amiibo online, his looked really ugly. When I saw him in the store, he looked really good. It must be the pattern for the fur just isn't captured well in pictures.

I'm liking the Crazy Orders mode, but it's really frustrating when you get a long chain of wins and then lose just before you want to fight Crazy Hand. The board game mode is cool too, but the computers seem more difficult than anywhere else in the game. Sometimes, I'll start a match and get knocked out in a single hit. It's even worse when you get hit by that automatic 100% trophy. It's almost like Cruel Smash at times. The final battle is really cool, though. I love the idea of collecting fighters and getting the chance to cycle through all of them in one battle.

Fox's Amiibo is very nice, as he has a very nice action pose that helps him stand out against some of the others. I'm a pretty big Metroid fan, so the fact that I picked Fox up over Samus says a lot about how great his figure is.

The two new modes added in Smash Wii U are interesting. I think you're spot on about the difficulty in the matches for the board game mode. After getting thoroughly smashed in the first couple of matches, I let the cpu take over until the final battle. I was in a bit of a rush to get through all the boards so I could unlock PacLand, but I still managed to have fun with it. You're right, collecting the pieces and fighting with who you have left at the end adds a lot of tension for those final few rounds. I bet it's a fun mode to play with friends. As for Crazy Orders, I've only played it a few times to get the awards for playing them with different characters. I need to try going as far as I can to judge it for myself, but I like the options of the different challenges they present you.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

My apologizes in advance, since I'm a bit of a Smash Bro's nerd/snob. My belief system holds to the faith that Smash Bros Brawl- (Minus) was, and should be, the current meta of Smash fighting. I'll definitely try the Wii U version in due time, but until the it's creators reconsider their stance on the inclusion of Captain Falcon.... I will wait, that is untill the Wii U version get hacked and broken to the point of extreme enjoyment.

-Switty
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

Is Brawl Minus the hacked version of Brawl? What makes it so different, as I'm not too familiar with it.

And what's wrong with Captain Falcon? Is it due to his speed and power?
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Thumbs up

Super Smash Bros for the Wii U acquired! However, I didn't get the 3DS version since it has always been about the people huddled around the TV experience (for me). I also picked up a Link amiibo and more are sure to follow (Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link). Guess who's a huge TLOZ nerd? This girl! This girl! I thought the amiibo idea was stupid when it was first announced but I've since changed my mind. They'll look nice on my shelf if anything else. Any unlockable DLC is just bonus. So far I've just unlocked all the stages and characters and I think that's good enough. No interest in getting all the trophies, songs, challenges and moves. My Nintendo Network ID is forlornhope if anybody is interested in some online matches (although I'll probably lose every one. I'm a casual fan ) I just got a Wii U so my friend list is pitiful atm.
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Glad you're enjoying the WiiU version! Truthfully, I haven't played the 3DS version since getting it's console sibling, but I do like it, and think it'll be nice to have when it's not possible to play in front of a TV. I'll agree that playing in front of the TV is the optimal way to play it, but I'm glad I have the chance to play it on the go.

I got the Link amiibo for christmas, and of all the Amiibos I have (including Fox, Villager, Samus, and Yoshi), Link is proving to be the toughest one of the five. He's very good at using his Final Smash to take out a few players. I hope to add Toon Link

One thing I'd like to add about the Amiibos is that I'm sad at how difficult it is to find ones not of the Mario series. Granted, I can find Zelda no problem, but I've only otherwise seen Diddy Kong in the wild and thats it. I hope future waves won't be so difficult and that it's just the holidays, because I'd like to find King Dedede and Ness without resorting to preorder or go online.

My Nintendo Network ID is TofuFury. I don't really play against others online (mainly because I know I'll get creamed), but feel free to add me!
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

The wave two amiibos have been eluding me. Granted, I live in a small rural area but still.. not even a single one!? I gave up and order/preordered the ones I wanted on Amazon. Better safe than sorry (see gamecube adapter. I didn't preorder one since I thought they'd be well stocked but I was wrong. Very wrong ). Anyways, I added your Nintendo Network ID!
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Great, added you back! Anyone else who stumbles onto this post can feel free to do the same.

I live in a decently sized area, and unless you want Mario figures, the Amiibo selection can be slim pickings. I've already told my sister to keep an eye out for Pit figures for me. I'm pretty sure I'll have to preorder Shulk from Gamestop before they become as rare as Xenoblade itself and cost $70 to buy. Not sure what I'll do for Lucario and Meta Knight, either.

Has anyone used their Amiibos for games other than Smash? I'm going to try out Mario Kart at some point this week.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I enjoyed Smash Wii U, but now that I'm back at school I'm back to playing Smash 3DS. It really makes me miss easy smash attacks with the right control stick on the Wii U GamePad.

Which game do you prefer stage-wise? Overall, I prefer Smash Wii U's stages, but I have missed Arena Ferox and Magicant.

Now that I've had the games for a while and have gotten used to the characters I expected to play as a lot, I'm starting to give the other characters a go. I've actually enjoyed playing as Shulk, one of the characters I was least excited for before the games came out. Wii Fit Trainer and Zero Suit Samus are fun, too. Still can't get me to play as Little Mac if I have the choice.

How close is everyone on getting through the achievements? I only have about 10 left on the last set in Smash 3DS. In Smash Wii U, I'm somewhere between one half and two thirds.

As for amiibo, I have used Fox on Mario Kart 8, but I haven't used the costume, yet. My NNID is AlexTW. Maybe we'll have a Smash Fest some time in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    I enjoyed Smash Wii U, but now that I'm back at school I'm back to playing Smash 3DS. It really makes me miss easy smash attacks with the right control stick on the Wii U GamePad.

Which game do you prefer stage-wise? Overall, I prefer Smash Wii U's stages, but I have missed Arena Ferox and Magicant.

Now that I've had the games for a while and have gotten used to the characters I expected to play as a lot, I'm starting to give the other characters a go. I've actually enjoyed playing as Shulk, one of the characters I was least excited for before the games came out. Wii Fit Trainer and Zero Suit Samus are fun, too. Still can't get me to play as Little Mac if I have the choice.

How close is everyone on getting through the achievements? I only have about 10 left on the last set in Smash 3DS. In Smash Wii U, I'm somewhere between one half and two thirds.

As for amiibo, I have used Fox on Mario Kart 8, but I haven't used the costume, yet. My NNID is AlexTW. Maybe we'll have a Smash Fest some time in the future?
    There's a few stages I quite like and miss from the 3DS version. Magicant would be one of them, as I enjoy it more than Onett. As much of an Earthbound fan as I am, Onett is hardly one of my favorite stages. I would've preferred Fourside coming back before it. But Magicant is great, with all the call backs to the Mother series. I prefer the Pac-man stage in the 3DS version over Pacland, even if it's a neat stage. I even like the SNES F-Zero track, and I hope future Smash games have more retro stages like this.

Shulk's great, though I need to work on switching modes with him. I like all the new characters, though like you, I hate Little Mac. I even like playing as Wii Fit Trainer, but it's mostly to troll other players with her taunts (and her awesome final smash). Robin is very fun with his magic attacks. Even though I've played the game for hours, I still feel like I've only scratched the surface of learning the newbies. As for the vets, I think Yoshi and Bowser have improved from the previous iterations. I've enjoyed playing as them way more than in Brawl or Melee.

As for achievements, I still have a ways to go. I at least have the first page done in the 3DS version. Smash WiiU is another story. I still don't have Duck Hunt's stage unlocked.

I'll be sure to add your NNID when I hook my WiiU back up. It's packed up for the moment, but I should have it set up by the end of the weekend. Feel free to add me! I'd be up to play it online, though I'm not all that great. I can't wait to try the amiibos in Mario Kart. I have no idea what to expect from them.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog