Thread: Super Hero TV Shows and Movies Discussion

Super Hero TV Shows and Movies Discussion

Well, the fall season of television has kicked in, bringing in with it a new slew of super hero shows to watch on the small screen. Marvelís been highly successful with their movie franchises, and now both Marvel and DC have a few properties airing or debuting this season. What are you watching, and how are you enjoying it?

Iím mainly watching Arrow and The Flash. Arrowís been a great show the previous two seasons, and so far season three looks to keep raising the bar. The ending to the season opener was certainly a shocker.

As for The Flash, Iíll admit Iím a bit biased. Iíve been waiting for a Flash show for years, and Iím so glad itís finally happening. Loved the pilot, and if the show creators keep it up, theyíll have a solid hit on their hands. As much as I love Arrow, Iím a fan of super powers, so itís been great seeing how they translate to television.

As for Agents of Shield, my wife loves it, but I canít get into it. Watched the first episode this season and got bored with it. Itís not a bad show by any means, but itís just not what I want for a super hero show.

What are you watching, and are you enjoying it?
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    I'm on board for Arrow, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, and Gotham. I'm undecided on if I'll engage with Constantine or not.

Arrow got off to a great start. It's always fun to see Brandon Routh play against the Superman role he's best known for-- he was good as a villain in Chuck. The playfulness/competence he brings to Ray Palmer is enjoyable and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop (and/or potentially cross-over with Flash). I think the emotions that drove last week's episode lead to some pretty powerful scenes. I'm hopeful it'll finally drive Laurel in an interesting direction. I'm curious to see where they take everyone.

The Flash has been a lot of fun since it's more willing to play in the realm of the meta-human. I hope the introduction of the Rogues will lead to some story-driven super-villain episodes, rather than the Smallville freak-of-the-week formula (forgivable in its first season, but I hope they grow beyond it). The DCU fan loves all the name dropping going on. And I appreciate the mystery surrounding Wells.
    Spoiler!

Agents of SHIELD has been really strong this season. A lot of it probably rests on paying off on the groundwork laid in season 1, though. The role changes and new status quo between the two seasons made catching up with everyone a lot of fun, even if most of the stuff with Fitz is rather heartbreaking. Hopefully they can sustain it season long.

Gotham is a show that has enough familiar trappings that it's enjoyable to watch as a Batman fan, but I think the show won't be sustainable without a time-jump of some sort. In episode one alone they seeded Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin, Poison Ivy, potential-Joker... we've seeded venom for Bane already. Carmine Falcone is already viewed as weak and ripe for a power grab. And Mr. Zsasz is on the way. This reveals the fundamental challenge this kind of series will face: keeping the toys in the box until Batman shows up. The stuff with young Bruce and Alfred is actually pretty good, but it strikes me that they'll have to age Bruce to proto-Batman age to access the toys in the Bat-mythos they really want to play with. Or they'll go the Smallville route and just stop caring about living up to the "prequel" story they initially billed it as. Still, enough good here to keep me watching for now.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Brandon Routh has been an excellent addition to the cast of Arrow for the two episodes Iíve seen. Iím used to seeing Ray Palmer as the scientist rather than the business man, but I can get behind this interpretation of Ray. I wonder if theyíll show him doing anything heroic at all during the season. I know they have no plans to make him into the Atom in Arrow, but it would be nice to see the seeds to his super heroics get sown. I do like how both Arrow and Flash have been doing little bits to tie the two shows together.

Flash has been excellent. Still havenít seen the third episode yet, but loved the first two. I wonder what theyíll do with the two STAR Labs assistants as time goes on. And I like your theories on who Dr. Wells could be.

Spoiler!

From the bits Iíve seen of Agents of Shield, it is sad to see what happened to Fritz. However, Iím sure theyíll do something major with his character over the course of this season.

Havenít turned in for Gotham, but I have a feeling my wife will eventually, so Iíll catch bits of it like I do Shield.

Also, any thoughts on the new Avengers Age of Ultron trailer that was leaked this week?
    ďAha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!Ē
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Well, Iíve been pleased with how both Arrow and The Flash have been going so far. Both shows not only have interesting leads that can carry the show, but strong supporting casts that can keep the story going without the main character. Iíve also liked how Arrow has introduced Ray Palmer with his Atom suit and Firestorm in Flash. I wasnít sure how Firestorm would translate on television, but I was sold with the last two parter that focused on Ronnie/Martin Stein. Iíve read some peopleís disappointment in the Atom that he seems to be just an Iron Man clone now, but earlier in the season it showed that Ray based it on the OMAC project, and anyone familiar with Infinite Crisis should know that OMAC isnít exactly something someone should use.

For Flash, Iíve liked the dynamic between Barry, Sisco, Catlin, and Dr. Wells. Who knew that Sisco would become such a fun character, considering who heís based off of in the DC universe. Based on previews for the upcoming episode in two weeks, it looks like the gang will find out Dr. Wellsí big secret, and the current dynamic will change in a big way. Itís a little sad, as I liked the mounting tension between Wells and the rest. Still, Wells has been a bit careless lately, so itís understandable that the rest would figure out eventually.

And how cool is it that Sisco used mirror tech to glimpse into the death of Barryís mother? I doubt thatíll be the last we see such technology, as the Mirror Master is due to show up at some point in the future; though Iím thinking that wont happen until next season.

As for Arrow, the Brick storyline was a necessary addition for this season. It allowed Roy to show his skills as Arsenal, as well as let Laurel take the mantle up as Black Canary. Weíre getting to see someone grow from an ordinary citizen to a real hero, bumps and all. Also, nice for Thea to jump into the fold, even if she isnít a hero yet. Season 3 has been good for Laurel and Thea, which was a smart decision considering they didnít do much before then. And the Ras storyline has been fine for the most part. Really digging the new locations theyíve been showing.

Anyone else hear about the new team up show the CWís working on for Atom, Firestorm, and some certain other characters? Iím intrigued by it. The new characters have been exciting additions, and giving them a shared spinoff makes more sense than giving them their own shows. I wonder if theyíll go so far as to call it Justice League, or something else.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog