Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Cover Discussion

Thread: Cover Discussion

Cover Discussion

Redwall has some very striking covers throughout the series. Which ones are your favorites? Do you prefer the covers that came out in the US or the UK?

I'll start off the discussion talking about one of my favorite covers: Mariel of Redwall.

When I was first getting into Redwall, I have to admit that Mariel of Redwall wasn't near the top of my list of books in the series to read. I was a bit judgmental, and thought the book seemed plain, especially in comparison to some of the others. Once I read it, it blew me away, and is easily one of my top favorites in the whole series.

What I love about this cover is just the imagery of the two ships sailing in the sea. There's no lack of sailing in the book, and the cover captures it perfectly. You're going on a high seas adventure, with the crashing waves and bellowing sea air. I can't look at the cover now without thinking about Mariel's daring escape, or Durry and Dandin's time as oarslaves.

I have more to post, but I'll split them up for later. How about you, what are your favorites and why?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Looking out for stories yet to be told...
    I think Taggerung has my favorite cover. The shiny blue border and the raised cover are great, but what really sets it apart for me is the actual picture it has. It seems darker than the others, and it really shows so much about the story, but they are details that you only notice after reading. The knife and the tattoos intrigued me, and the way he is looking back over his shoulder showed how much he worried about his pursuers made me want to know what he was running from.

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

Dibbun
    I like most of the US covers for the original hardcovers, since that is what I am most familiar with. For example, I like those of Loamhedge, Lord Brocktree, Martin the Warrior, etc. Some I don't find that striking, like that of Mattimeo, but they have a nice mood. I like the soft touch and the balance of the overall composition. I have also seen some breathtaking UK covers with very dramatic viewpoints and a lot of amazing detail. My apologies that I don't know the names offhand of the artists whose work I am mentioning here.

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    I think Taggerung has my favorite cover. The shiny blue border and the raised cover are great, but what really sets it apart for me is the actual picture it has. It seems darker than the others, and it really shows so much about the story, but they are details that you only notice after reading. The knife and the tattoos intrigued me, and the way he is looking back over his shoulder showed how much he worried about his pursuers made me want to know what he was running from.
    You know, I thought Deyna looked a bit odd in the US cover, but taking another look at it, I see what you mean. He does give off that grizzled, "on the run" look. I'm more partial to the UK cover with him having hunted down the fox that was trying to run away from the tribe. When I brought up the book in my thesis paper, I used the UK cover as my example.

Quote Originally Posted by Worbee View Post
    I like most of the US covers for the original hardcovers, since that is what I am most familiar with. For example, I like those of Loamhedge, Lord Brocktree, Martin the Warrior, etc. Some I don't find that striking, like that of Mattimeo, but they have a nice mood. I like the soft touch and the balance of the overall composition. I have also seen some breathtaking UK covers with very dramatic viewpoints and a lot of amazing detail. My apologies that I don't know the names offhand of the artists whose work I am mentioning here.
    Loamhedge does have a fine cover, with the questing group resting around the fire. I think it fits the tone of the book very well, as it's a more laid back adventure. I do like the UK's cover, with Lonna pulling back on his bow. Lord Brocktree's US cover is fantastic, and it's one of the reasons that book was my introduction to the series. Martin the Warrior's cover is very memorable, with Martin shouting out with the battle all around him.

I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking Mattimeo's cover, so I'm glad you brought it up. I have a problem with it, because while Mattimeo and the guards look fine, I can't get over Slagar or Auma, because they look too much like regular animals while on all four legs, rather than fitting in with how they're described in the book. It doesn't mesh with the rest of the covers. The UK one looks much better.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Dibbun
    I agree that the UK cover to Mattimeo is very good and has a better depiction of Slagar. As you mentioned, the US cover has some issues though I do kind of like the back cover where Matthias and his companions are looking pensively out at the dusty sky.

Chris Baker has always been my favorite Redwall artist. Personally, I feel like he always did the best at anthropomorphizing the characters. My favorite cover of his would probably be his cover for The Long Patrol. The only cover of his I don't like is Martin the Warrior. It's my favorite book, but there aren't any covers for it that I'm particularly fond of.

I do rather like Sean Rubin's covers for the audiobooks. The characters are always rather cute looking without being excessively round like in Christopher Denise's artwork.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

I wish Sean would go back and make covers for all of the books. I agree that his are just stellar, and really capture the mood of the story. He does share a lot of qualities of Christopher Denise's beautiful artwork, but not quite as cuddly. I can't imagine a full scale battle in Denise's work, whereas contrast that with Rubin's High Rhulain mid-battle audiobook cover.

I can see how Martin the Warrior's cover wouldn't impress you, but I can't say I'm disappointed by it. I think Martin looks fierce, shouting towards the reader to charge forward with the mist and smoke of battle swirling around him.

Long Patrol

One cover I'm not as fond of is the US version of Salamandastron. It reminds me more of a chronicle of an event that happened at the mountain, with Urthstripe's portrait above three barely noticeable portraits. This is something I'd expect to see hanging in a wall of Badger Lords, not a Redwall cover. Then below we have a realistic fox standing by appropriate looking vermin standing with weapons. Did the artist not know how foxes were supposed to act in the story? The U.K. cover looks much better in comparison.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

It's not that I think that Chris Baker's Martin the Warrior cover is bad, it just doesn't catch my attention like his other covers do. On the other hand, I really don't like Troy Howell's version because Martin seems stuck in between Howell's early style and later style. Martin's body is anthropomorphized like in Howell's later covers, while his head still keeps to Howell's earlier, more realistic style. I just think that anthropomorphic animals fit Redwall much better than realistic animals, so I'm somewhat biased against Howell's earlier covers like Mattimeo and even Redwall itself.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    It's not that I think that Chris Baker's Martin the Warrior cover is bad, it just doesn't catch my attention like his other covers do. On the other hand, I really don't like Troy Howell's version because Martin seems stuck in between Howell's early style and later style. Martin's body is anthropomorphized like in Howell's later covers, while his head still keeps to Howell's earlier, more realistic style. I just think that anthropomorphic animals fit Redwall much better than realistic animals, so I'm somewhat biased against Howell's earlier covers like Mattimeo and even Redwall itself.
    I see what you mean. The realistic art bothers me, too, but it doesn't as much with Martin. Mattimeo and Salamandastron's US covers bother me for the realistic animal portions you mention. Mattimeo's worse, but the vermin in the bottom of Salamandastron just stick out like a sore thumb.

And I must confess, I don't much care for Taggerung's US cover. It's fine, but Deyna looks a bit weird to me. He's menacing, but something seems off to him. I think he looks much better in the UK cover. It's not terrible, but just not a favorite.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog