Thread: Prologues and Epilogues

Prologues and Epilogues

One of the parts I enjoy about Brian's framework for the Redwall stories was how he had little mini-stories at the start and end to most of the tales. They make the stories feel like tales told around campfires during winter nights to inspire young beasts to continue the traditions of Redwall Abbey and Salamandastron.

When I first started reading Redwall, I began with Lord Brocktree. What grabbed me initially was that this tale had been compiled by Lord Russano to tell his family, as well as any who came to hear him tell the story. It was a labor of love, with the Badger Lord doing deep research and interviewing the descendents of the battle. It certainly made me interested in learning more about both the story, as well as Lord Russano (though his future appearances are sadly brief).

Compare that to the unique way Brian presented Marlfox. Marlfox was written to be performed as a play to the Abbey for generations to come. You can tell Brian had some experience with writing plays, as it's formed in a similar manner.

I also appreciate that Martin the Warrior features the cast from Mariel of Redwall and The Bellmaker. Mariel and The Bellmaker has perhaps my favorite cast of Abbey beasts, so it's great to see how they were doing in between the two stories. Plus, it's the last we see of Bagg and Runn, the funniest dibbuns in the entire series.

What are your favorites?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I know what you mean. The prologues and epilogues are one of my favorite elements in the Redwall series. They really make you feel like you're one of the Abbeybeasts listening to a storyteller. Martin the Warrior was the first book with that set-up that I read. I thought the relationship between Rose and Aubretia, as well as the Late Rose bulb and the portrait of Martin and Rose, really carried the momentum of the story's climax. It was that last emotional punch that made Martin the Warrior's ending really memorable.

Another similar technique I enjoy are the extracts from a Recorder/Abbot/Abbess that are included in some books. I always enjoy hearing about what happened to my favorite characters after the story ends.

I, too, read Lord Brocktree before The Long Patrol. Somehow, I think it made Russano's appearances in The Long Patrol and Taggerung more significant to me.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Martin the Warrior might have the best Prologue/Epilogue in the whole series. And I’m glad it’s with the Mariel cast, too. In some ways, I think what the cartoon did with having it be with Matthias and Mattimeo makes more sense, but I love Saxtus, Durry, and the others so much that I’m glad they get another appearance.

In some ways, Luke the Warrior’s sections with Martin and the gang could be an extended prologue and epilogue. They’re my favorite bits of that book, but the Luke section is great, too.

And how great is Mossflower’s Epilogue with Sunflash’s appearance? In some ways I’m glad I got into Redwall later so I didn’t have to wait years to see that resolved.

I agree about Brian’s use of the Recorders in the Redwall series. It’s such a neat touch that we get to see things from their point of view. I’m reading about the dark age/medieval manuscript makers of the past, and bits like this give Redwall a ton of history. Really reminds me of works like Bede and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.

As for Lord Russano, I do wish we would’ve seen a full fledged adventure with him. With as much build up as he had, it’s a shame he’s only in the series for a bit.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog