Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Martin's Last Quest

Thread: Martin's Last Quest

Martin's Last Quest

Anyone who’s read Doomwyte is familiar with the section that flashes back to Martin’s time at the abbey, when Gonff stole the Doomwyte idols. Well, in it, it’s mentioned that Martin was off on another quest in Mossflower. This is interesting, as Brian could’ve ended Martin’s time with his quest to find out what happened to Luke, but didn’t.

Do you think, if Brian had lived to tell more tales, would we have seen this quest play out? Could this tale have been what Brian was planning on writing for the 25th book in the series? It would’ve fit, considering the 20th book was all about Gonff.

From what we know about the quest, it seems like Martin struck out at it alone, as Gonff and Young Dinny were both at the abbey when Gonff did his thieving. He could’ve taken a few beasts with him, perhaps training a successor to abbey warrior in the process, but the text remains silent on the matter.

What do you think could’ve happened? If I chose the plot, I think I would’ve liked to see Martin travel to Noonvale during the dwindling years of his life. This could’ve been his last great hurrah, to make some sort of peace with what happened to Rose. Plus, it would’ve been nice to see how the surviving characters from Martin the Warrior were doing, like Brome, Pellum, and Keyla. Perhaps Noonvale was under some threat, and needed his help in the matter.

How about you?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Dibbun
    This idea sends chills down my spine, especially the part about Noonvale. Martin's character, I think, can be seen as having a really interesting arc, from Martin the Warrior to Mossflower and The Legend of Luke, and it definitely would have been great to see this continued. On the one hand I am sad because I really want to see how Brian would have written such a story, but on the other hand I am glad that you have called attention to this detail from Doomwyte. I hope that years from now, if Redwall is a fixture of popular culture in the future, that detail will stand out in people's minds and so be part of the story of the franchise.

It would make for a nice way to end Martin's arc, wouldn't it? I'd definitely read it if someone wrote it.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Martin's final quest, it seems like Redwall fans always link that quest with Noonvale. I know that I do. I wonder if the idea of Martin trying to make peace with Rose is just so obvious and appropriate that it outshines any other possible idea? He could have visited Salamandastron once again or perhaps gone to the caves of his father's tribe. Another possibility is that Abbess Germaine asked him to retrieve something from Loamhedge. In the end, it's also possible that Martin just decided to do some traveling. The frustrated romantic in me hopes that he returned to Noonvale. Something makes me believe that he would have kept his identity a secret except to maybe those he was closest to during that time like Brome, Rowanoak, and Grumm so that he could be alone, but also tell them of his life at Redwall. That would also explain Aubretia's knowledge of Martin's life and her desire to visit Redwall.

What do you think made Martin decide to go on this journey. If he indeed did return to Noonvale, I believe Martin knew that his time was almost over and he wanted to say goodbye one last time. It seemed to me that Gonff's story in Doomwyte took place well after The Legend of Luke, so he would definitely be getting on in age. I believe someone once mentioned that Martin died of old age, but that doesn't mean that he got to be all that old considering how many times he was almost fatally wounded. If his wounds were beginning to take their toll or he was becoming ill, that might have sparked his desire to go north and pay Rose her respects.
    "In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It’s not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

Looking out for stories yet to be told...
    Hmm...processing...processing...editing...

Where would Martin go without Gonff?
    Because it could be/is assumed that our favorite Prince of Mousethieves was at Redwall during the quest.

I thought about the previously stated possibilities and have a few of my own:

Noonvale: A good option, Martin doesn't want everyone knowing about the place, he would want to be alone to pay respects to Rose, Felldoh, and the other fallen from Marshank. Gonff is a great friend, but he lightens it up a bit much for a visit like that; I'm sure Martin would want a quiet and solemn time.

Salamandastron: Going to the mountain (in my opinion)* seems like it would not be the setting of his last quest, sure I think he may have been back before then, during the construction of Redwall, but not his 'last hurrah'.

Caves of Luke's Tribe: I think this could be another viable option, for the same reason as stated in Noonvale, for quiet and solemnity.

Loamhedge: Another maybe; I don't see why he'd go without Gonff or Dinny, but it could have some tie-in with the writing of the top abbey crow riddle, as I don't think Germaine would want to give directions to a place they had to abandon due to a plague.

Just goin' around: Well, yes, this is a good option, Martin goes around Mossflower, defending the weak, making friends, looking for things that could improve the abbey (a bellmaker, perhaps?), fighting snakes in the quarry, helping the new branch of the Long Patrol based in the area, &c...

Well, maybe I don't have a few ideas of my own, YET, but those were my thoughts on what was already mentioned.

*I said that like that because on the internet I am terrified of people thinking I insulted them or something, so, uhh...yeah. Carry on.

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

Interesting thoughts everyone, there's a lot to mull over here.

Quote Originally Posted by T.W. View Post
    Martin's final quest, it seems like Redwall fans always link that quest with Noonvale. I know that I do. I wonder if the idea of Martin trying to make peace with Rose is just so obvious and appropriate that it outshines any other possible idea? He could have visited Salamandastron once again or perhaps gone to the caves of his father's tribe. Another possibility is that Abbess Germaine asked him to retrieve something from Loamhedge. In the end, it's also possible that Martin just decided to do some traveling. The frustrated romantic in me hopes that he returned to Noonvale. Something makes me believe that he would have kept his identity a secret except to maybe those he was closest to during that time like Brome, Rowanoak, and Grumm so that he could be alone, but also tell them of his life at Redwall. That would also explain Aubretia's knowledge of Martin's life and her desire to visit Redwall.

What do you think made Martin decide to go on this journey. If he indeed did return to Noonvale, I believe Martin knew that his time was almost over and he wanted to say goodbye one last time. It seemed to me that Gonff's story in Doomwyte took place well after The Legend of Luke, so he would definitely be getting on in age. I believe someone once mentioned that Martin died of old age, but that doesn't mean that he got to be all that old considering how many times he was almost fatally wounded. If his wounds were beginning to take their toll or he was becoming ill, that might have sparked his desire to go north and pay Rose her respects.
    I think Martin went to Noonvale alone because I think he'd have a lot on his mind, and might need to find inner peace in more of a solitary journey. Martin would definitely be nearing the age where he couldn't go on adventures anymore, so this would probably be his last chance to do so. One thing that struck me about the end of Martin the Warrior was that Martin fled afterwards, choosing not to go to Noonvale and bring the news of Rose's death to her father. I certainly don't blame Martin for doing so, especially considering how young he was at the time. What could he say? Knowing Martin's personality, it has to eat at him, and he'd want to set things right, even if Rose's father was most likely long dead by this point. But I do think Martin would want to see how Brome, Grumm, and the others were doing.

And I think you bring up a great point about Aubretia's knowledge of Martin's life, as well as her knowing about Redwall Abbey itself. This would be a good way for both Redwall Abbey and Noonvale to have their first connection to each other. Would Noonvale be in some sort of danger? Maybe, given that a Redwall story has to have some sort of threat. My guess is that the threat would be some general threat to Mossflower itself, rather than a huge warband looking to conquer Noonvale. From what we know of Noonvale, it doesn't seem like the kind of place that could withstand a siege, instead relying on staying hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    Hmm...processing...processing...editing...

Where would Martin go without Gonff?
    Because it could be/is assumed that our favorite Prince of Mousethieves was at Redwall during the quest.

I thought about the previously stated possibilities and have a few of my own:

Noonvale: A good option, Martin doesn't want everyone knowing about the place, he would want to be alone to pay respects to Rose, Felldoh, and the other fallen from Marshank. Gonff is a great friend, but he lightens it up a bit much for a visit like that; I'm sure Martin would want a quiet and solemn time.
    I agree with you whole heartedly on this. As close as Martin is with Gonff, I think the Prince of Mousethieves would make too much light of the situation unintentionally. As well-intended as his reasons would be, Martin needs the be in the right mindset for this. Helping Martin find his father is one thing, as it was left up in the air as to Luke's fate. Martin knows what happened to Rose, and I think Gonff would respect his friend's wishes.

Salamandastron: Going to the mountain (in my opinion)* seems like it would not be the setting of his last quest, sure I think he may have been back before then, during the construction of Redwall, but not his 'last hurrah'.
    I second this as well. My guess is that Salamandastron was quiet during this time, other than waiting for the successor to Boar to arrive and take his place or maybe taking on the occasional sea rats. And I don't think there's much for Martin to do here questwise, either.

Caves of Luke's Tribe: I think this could be another viable option, for the same reason as stated in Noonvale, for quiet and solemnity.
    It's a stronger possibility than Salamandastron, but my only issue with it is I think Martin got everything he needed out of his visiting this place in Legend of Luke. Now if he's doing one last hurrah around Mossflower and just visiting places, then I could see him making one last stop here.

Loamhedge: Another maybe; I don't see why he'd go without Gonff or Dinny, but it could have some tie-in with the writing of the top abbey crow riddle, as I don't think Germaine would want to give directions to a place they had to abandon due to a plague.
    I think Loamhedge is less likely as well, especially due to the circumstances on it's abandonment. Granted, I'd think the danger would've passed by now, but I'm guessing Germaine would worry about the plague somehow returning with Martin on accident, and she'd never do something to endanger her abbey.

Just goin' around: Well, yes, this is a good option, Martin goes around Mossflower, defending the weak, making friends, looking for things that could improve the abbey (a bellmaker, perhaps?), fighting snakes in the quarry, helping the new branch of the Long Patrol based in the area, &c...
    I agree that this is a good option as well. This could tie in with Martin looking for a successor to Abbey Warrior, if he was looking for one. Considering how much of Redwall's stories involve Martin calling like minded beasts to take his place, this could be the start of that tradition. Just because he does it as a spirit doesn't mean he didn't first attempt it while alive.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog