Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Would you want to see more Redwall Graphic Novels?

Thread: Would you want to see more Redwall Graphic Novels?

Question Would you want to see more Redwall Graphic Novels?

While I have a few issues with the artwork, the Redwall graphic novel is a great adaptation of the original. As a comic fan, I think there's merit to making graphic novel adaptations of books. While they shouldn't replace the books they're adapting, it's a nice way to see your favorite books re-imagined in a new medium. So if there were more Redwall graphic novels planned, would you buy them? Also, what books would you want to see get adapted first, or are there any that you think would be better suited for this kind of adaptation?

Taggerung would make a fantastic graphic novel. It doesn't require another book to explain the backstory, and Deyna's story is pretty unique compared to the other books in the series. Plus there's quite a bit of action and suspense, with the vermin trying to hunt down Deyna and kill him.

Then you have The Long Patrol, which is full of battles and action, which is perfect for a graphic novel. While there is some backstory involving characters from Pearls of Lutra, I think you could get away with not having to refer to it a bunch and losing readers.

Lord Brocktree would make for a great graphic novel as well. Brocktree has an epic story, building up to that final battle with a formidable foe. Plus it goes all the way back to the beginning of Redwall history, once again negating the worry for backstory.

What do you think?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Dibbun
    Thinking purely in terms of visuals, I think The Bellmaker would make an interesting graphic novel because it has large ships and the sea, a new kingdom to explore visually, large-scale conflicts, and a tower scene that could be exploited for visual impact. The Urgan Nagru has his distinctive wolf skin, and his fight with Finnbar Galedeep could look interesting.

There is of course the issue of backstory that you have mentioned. Mariel of Redwall would have to be adapted first, which would be fine with me as well.

Looking out for stories yet to be told...
    More graphic novels could be a good thing, I think. There are a few people that are doing it on their own and some are pretty good. I like this one:
    http://leimrei.deviantart.com/art/Mo...er-1-417218630

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

Quote Originally Posted by Worbee View Post
    Thinking purely in terms of visuals, I think The Bellmaker would make an interesting graphic novel because it has large ships and the sea, a new kingdom to explore visually, large-scale conflicts, and a tower scene that could be exploited for visual impact. The Urgan Nagru has his distinctive wolf skin, and his fight with Finnbar Galedeep could look interesting.

There is of course the issue of backstory that you have mentioned. Mariel of Redwall would have to be adapted first, which would be fine with me as well.
    Yes, The Bellmaker would make for an excellent choice for a graphic novel. And while Mariel of Redwall would have to be adapted first, I'd be excited for both. The Mariel/Bellmaker books are both very strong entries in the series with an entertaining cast that would translate well for a graphic novel. Plus, I'd love to read a Redwall graphic novel that focused on the nautical stories in the series. I like the specific moments you mention, but I'll add another one to the list: the whirlpool scene. That would make for a spectacular splash page that would catch the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Schröder View Post
    More graphic novels could be a good thing, I think. There are a few people that are doing it on their own and some are pretty good. I like this one:
    http://leimrei.deviantart.com/art/Mo...er-1-417218630
    Those sketches are great. I’d read a completed Redwall graphic novel by that artist. Deviantart has some very talented Redwall fans. I know the people behind Beyond the Western Deep had some Mossflower concept art for a new animated series, but their project was forced to stop for legal reasons.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog