Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Redwall theme on organ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redwall theme on organ

Looking out for stories yet to be told...

Redwall theme on organ

A few months ago I had the opportunity to play around on the organ at my piano teacher's church, so I decided to play the theme we all know.

I also played the Davy Jones theme from Pirates 2, but it didn't turn out well.

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Me: "Wait for it...wait for it...MARSHANK REDEMPTION!"
    My friend: "Comments section on 'Escape from Marshank'."
    Me: You've gotta spoil everything, don't ya?"
    Him: "Yup."

Great job on the theme! The organ gave the song an almost haunting vibe to it that I liked a lot. The sound kind of fits the series, too. How long have you been playing the organ?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

That was my first time, I had played around on my electric keyboard's organ function a few times, but that was it. I have always appreciated organ music, which is why I jumped at the chance to play a real one.

"Knowledge is a thing that one cannot have enough of. It is the fruit of wisdom, to be eaten carefully and digested fully..." -BJ

“I wish to thank all the breweries who manufactured all the ale which got me so sodden drunk, that I got the inspiration to write this book.” -BJ

Sounds like it was a cool opportunity. I should've figured that you mainly played piano from your first post, so that was my oversight. Still, I bet there's nothing like playing a legit organ in a church. You have all that open space for the sound to carry, which differs greatly from playing in, say, a bedroom or practice room.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Oh yeah, when that organ sings, it fills the room! It wasn't just a chapel organ either, it was an actual PIPE organ with huge pipes at the front of the church. It was awesome!

I just realized I forgot to ask this, but how many instruments do you play, and how long have you played? I used to play guitar in High School and College, but stopped due to time. I loved it though. If my schedule ever opens up again, I'm thinking about taking up the bagpipes, but that's a whole different beast from guitar. But I hope you keep going with piano/organ.
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Just piano, and as a result, other keyboard based stuff like organ and harpsichord. For about seven years now.

Harpsichord? That's honestly rad, I don't know anyone who's messed around with one. Very cool. Do you play around with synthesizers at all, or would you find that not as interesting?
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I have a keyboard that has a few synth settings, but I haven't given it much time. I prefer my baby grand any day.

Patroller
    Well Done! Such a good melody.

You might find synthesis a bit more interesting on the computer, or analog setup, where you have greater control of things. Computer is much cheaper

Thank you, for the compliment, and the advice.

Patroller
    I should ask if you like music with synthesizers at all really and if so, what kind?

For me, I enjoy two synthpop bands: Joy Electric and The Echoing Green. Plus I listen to lots of video game remixes and soundtracks, and Daft Punk here and there. I like synths, though, as you can get tons of different tones and sounds out of them.

What do you listen to?
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

I generally don't. The only thing that I think comes close is this and it's companion pieces:

The only reason I found it at all is because I was looking for Twokinds Stuff.

Patroller
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulchior Lancer View Post
    For me, I enjoy two synthpop bands: Joy Electric and The Echoing Green. Plus I listen to lots of video game remixes and soundtracks, and Daft Punk here and there. I like synths, though, as you can get tons of different tones and sounds out of them.

What do you listen to?
    Oh wow, this sounds a ton like acid music with lyrics. Very interesting. My favorite artist at the moment is probably Aphex Twin who is probably the best synth guy I know of. Here's an example of his stuff, one of my favorites by him. If you like it I can hook you up with some more favs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IND_Do8g2w0

The only reason I found it at all is because I was looking for Twokinds Stuff.
    Oh, well then if you're not a big fan I suggest you look this kind of stuff up! There's a lot of rich music to be found. If you haven't checked out Daft Punk much, who make house music too, then I suggest their album Discovery. It's great!

ACTUALLY! There's another reason it might be a good idea to get into sequencing your own music. I make synth music, but I also make acoustic based music with many different instruments, all with my midi keyboard. All you need to do is know how to play a keyboard somewhat and you can make music in a Digital Audio Workstation like Fruity Loops, Ableton, or Reaper (Reaper is the cheapest, it's 60 bucks, and I've heard good things about it) basically with these you can sequence music on a timeline ( I'm assuming you don't know what a DAW is really ). You don't actually need to know how to play a piano, since you can insert notes with your mouse, which I do sometimes. As I said I'm not the best keyboard player so I have to go in and manually correct things all the time.

I make music too!: https://soundcloud.com/evoava/ocarina-of-funk

I played everything except the percussion on my midi keyboard, and then sequenced and corrected the 'midi' to create that song about half a year ago. The ocarina, flute, voice, piano, cello, all originally played by me on my midi keyboard (so if you can play a keyboard you already have a leg up!), and then rearranged. Basically you can get very high quality samples of say, a piano, where there are various samples for every single key on your keyboard. Then you play them together and it sounds as if it were a real piano. They have these 'sample libraries' as they're called, for TONS of instruments. I have a harpsichord sample library, various pianos, the whole orchestra individually, various voices, etc. What I'm trying to get at is that you may find more creativity sparked there than with synths since you know how to play the organ

There's a pipe organ sample library I want called Hauptwerk(I have the free version which is good, but the paid version is awesome). Actual organists use it to practice at their home when they're not at a real one. It sounds very real when played through speakers or a headset. As an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWprXxnmrYM

You can see all the stops on his computer screen, which you can change by clicking them. Might be fun to get the free version of Hauptwerk and play around for you. Heh.
    Last edited by Brocktree1; July 16th, 2015 at 03:50 AM.