Thread: Redwall Abbey as a Location in the Series

Redwall Abbey as a Location in the Series

Let’s face it, when a series lasts as long as Redwall has, having the same exact setting over and over again runs the risk of boring the audience. Yet every time a Redwall book opens up at the ever-familiar Abbey, it feels more like a homecoming. There are no feelings of “Ugh, this place again.” The thought never crosses my mind. Even as the cast changes with each book, it’s more of a rediscovery. I get to mentally wander around the Abbey and meet the new cast, see who’s the new Abbot/Abbess, see who’s running the cellar, and finding out who the new main characters are.

Then there’s the Abbey itself. There’s always the constant of the Great Hall, the crammed gatehouse filled with tomes and maps, and the tapestry, the greatest reminder of the storied history of the Abbey. Even with what we know of the Abbey, Brian slowly peeled the Abbey down to its very foundation. Remember when it was discovered Kotir still existed, buried beneath the Abbey? Or how about when a hidden away nook in the Abbey was unlocked after untold seasons of disuse? There was always something new to discover or rediscover if you looked hard enough.

One question I always wondered about was what ever happened to the lair of the Sparra? I don’t recall it ever being rediscovered or explored after the events of Mattimeo. Surely someone would’ve had the idea to climb up and give it a look around, but the sheer difficulty in reaching it probably dissuaded many from attempting it. There must’ve been something of worth hidden somewhere up there. It's a shame we never got to see it again, but there’s always fanfiction for that. Maybe the upcoming computer game will allow us to brave the heights and discover something interesting up in the long abandoned lair of the Sparra.

What were your favorite places in the Abbey, and were there any places you wish Brian would’ve returned to?
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog

Dibbun
    I definitely agree that each time we return to the abbey it is a sort of homecoming, as you put it. One of the most interesting return visits, as I'm sure many agree, would be in the beginning of The Legend of Luke. The abbey is not even completed and still it feels like the same good place.

Up on the walls overlooking Mossflower would have to be a great place to be. Especially when someone brings food up there. And especially in autumn so one doesn't get too hot climbing up there. (I also like orchards, and I imagine time spent in the Abbey orchard would be as nice as any other.)

On a related note, one thing I never get tired of is closing scenes of the Abbey beasts up on the walls and finally seeing some heroes returning home (hopefully with some other interesting personalities and at least one badger). It would be great to be up there and be the first one to spot that.

Yes, the homecomings are some of my favorite moments as well! I especially enjoyed the one in Outcast, where Sunflash finally reunites with his mother. It's one of the best moments of that book.

The comment about getting food up on the wall reminds me of the opening of Rakkety Tam, when Skipper is given food during a blustery winters day. It's a small moment, but it sticks with me. I bet there's some wonderful views up there when you're not ducking from arrows.

And I do like book one of Legend of Luke for the scenes where we see Redwall as its being built. I'm so glad Brian wrote that section and to give us a window into that part of Redwall's history. It's a shame we don't get to see more of that, but what we see is great.
    “Aha! Today I shall become an author! And I will auth and auth and auth and make a squillion dollars, whoopee!”
    -Brian Jacques

My Story Blog